News in Brief (April 25)

**Slevin named president of the Southern Sociology Society**

Professor Kate Slevin of the College’s sociology department was named president of the Southern Sociology Society during the organization’s annual meeting Saturday, April 12 in Richmond.

According to its website, the society, founded in 1935, consists of a group of professionals dedicated to the advancement of sociology through educational and ethical standards. With over 1,000 members, the SSS is the largest disciplinary sociologist society in the region.

Professor Slevin joined the College’s sociology department in 1990.

**Kappa Delta’s Campus Golf raises nearly $12,000**

Kappa Delta’s Campus Golf efforts raised nearly $12,000 this year. About $9,300 will go to Avalon and another $2,300 will go to the Kappa Delta Children in Need Fund. The sorority presented a check to Avalon Thursday afternoon during a ceremony in the Wren Building.

**Dr. Cannaday receives School of Education Award**

Dr. Billy Cannaday, Jr., superintendent of public instruction for the state of Virginia, received the William and Mary School of Education JoLynne DeMary Award for his leadership in education at an Education Policy, Planning and Leadership breakfast Tuesday.

“He is able to transcend the issues in education and help our key constituents understand our needs and challenges in a way that’s truly remarkable,” Virginia McLaughlin, dean of the College’s school of education, said in a press release.

Appointed superintendent in 2006 by Virginia Governor Timothy M. Kaine, Cannaday serves as the executive officer of the Virginia Department of Education and secretary of the Board of Education.