Sports in Brief: September 19

Suzanne Figuers and Andrew Pike also contributed to this report.

Men’s Golf: Paladino wins tourney, shares CAA player of week
Senior Brent Paladino closed out the Raines Developmental Intercollegiate tournament this weekend with the first collegiate victory of his career and the first for any Tribe golfer since 2005.

Bolstered by the strong play of Paladino, the Tribe finished third, jumping up seven spots after the first round. The College of William and Mary shot a school-record score of 281 (-7) in the second round.

Meanwhile, Paladino’s 54-hole total of 202 (-14) broke the course record and shattered the school record by eight strokes. Paladino’s performance earned him CAA co-player of the week honors. Senior Doug Hurson tied his personal best with a second-round score of 69 (-3) to finish 39th, while redshirt freshman Scott Saal tied for 41st.

Men’s Cross Country: Tribe no. 23 in national preseason rankings
Fresh off its third-place finish in the Lou Onesty Invitational two weekends ago, the College of William and Mary has earned a spot in the U.S. Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association preseason poll, checking in at no. 23.

Last season the Tribe earned a no. 12 preseason ranking, before finishing 15th at the season-ending NCAA Championship meet. Two regional foes — no. 13 University of Virginia and no. 16 North Carolina State University — are ranked ahead of the Tribe nationally. In the southeast region poll, the College is third behind N.C. State (picked first) and U.Va.

Men’s Basketball: College plays host to BracketBusters in 2009
The College of William and Mary will participate in the ESPNU BracketBusters for the third consecutive season, hosting a game either Feb. 20 or 21 in 2009. The event, which pairs together mid-major teams from different conferences, is in its fourth year.

Other non-conference match-ups for the Tribe this season include home games with Norfolk State University, the U.S. Naval Academy, Radford University and Harvard University as well as road contests with Penn State University, Loyola University-Chicago and a match-up with South Carolina State University at the Liberty Thanksgiving Classic.