Sports in Brief: September 23

Belcher, Thomas score as College downs Elon
Two first-half goals for the College of William and Mary (3-0-2) propelled the squad to a 2-1 victory over host Elon University Saturday. Senior Nathan Belcher and junior Price Thomas registered their first goals of the year as the Tribe out-shot Elon 13-10.

Sophomore goalkeeper Andrew McAdams collected four saves, while fellow sophomore Nat Baako led all competitors for the second straight contest with four shots.

The Tribe remained unbeaten through five games for the seventh time in school history and the first time since 1994 when the Tribe opened the year with 12 straight wins.

Tribe opens season at William and Mary Invite
After finishing last season ranked no. 21 nationally, the College of William and Mary returned to the courts over the weekend at the William and Mary Invitational.

Senior Katarina Zoricic led the charge for the College, collecting a third-place finish in both singles and doubles in flight A, the highest-ranked bracket. In flight B, junior Carmen Pop and freshman Katie Kargl garnered the top spot after going 4-0 on the weekend. No. 87 junior Ragini Acharya won her opening round contest before falling to no. 1 Aurejila Miseviciute 6-1, 6-4 on day two of the competition.

For additional coverage on the tournament go to flathatnews.com/sports.

Tracy earns defensive player of the week honors
Junior defensive end Adrian Tracy was honored with the CAA defensive player of the week award, following the College of William and Mary’s 42-12 blowout win over Norfolk State University. Tracy notched a team-high six tackles over the Spartans while registering 1.5 sacks.

The defensive end is tied for the CAA lead in sacks with three, and is second in the conference with 5.5 tackles for a loss. Tracy also recorded a blocked field goal against the Spartans, which junior safety David
Caldwell returned 66 yards for a touchdown.