CAA football roundup

Only four CAA teams met in conference play this weekend, but the two north-south match-ups resulted in a significant shake-up at the top of the south division standing.

No. 19 Villanova 26 – No. 1 Richmond 20
Richmond’s reign as the nation’s top team lasted just one week. A pair of Aaron Ball touchdown runs gave Villanova a 14-3 lead midway through the second quarter and put the Spiders on their heels. Four Joe Marcoux field goals kept the Wildcats in the lead and a recovered onside kick sealed the upset. The Tribe will have its hands full when ’Nova comes to town Saturday.

No. 2 JMU 24 – Maine 10
Unlike Richmond, JMU took care of business on the road Saturday. The Dukes started slow, ending the first half tied with Maine at three, but quarterback Rodney Landers and running back Griff Yancey woke up in the second half and rushed for three touchdowns combined. The win put JMU in control of the south division and in position to take over the no. 1 ranking in the country.

Now to non-conference action.

Hofstra 43 – Stony Brook 3
In a rare Friday night game, Hofstra rolled to an easy victory over Stony Brook. Hofstra scored the game’s first 31 points, never committed a turnover and went 8-13 on third-down conversions.

Northeastern 27 – UC-Davis 10
UC-Davis scored 10 straight points to open the game and then never scored again, as Northeastern clamped down defensively. The Huskies forced six turnovers and returned an interception 92 yards for a touchdown. Northeastern halted its three-game losing skid with the win.

No. 7 New Hampshire 42 – Dartmouth 6
Playing without its top-rusher Chad Kackert didn’t hurt New Hampshire against Dartmouth. The Wildcats rang up 265 yards on the ground and five rushing touchdowns. New Hampshire has now won 11 consecutive games against Dartmouth in the state’s “Granite Bowl.”

Towson 31 – Columbia 24
It took nearly 60 minutes for Towson to put away Columbia. The Tigers final scoring drive started at Columbia’s 44-yard line, following a timely 39-yard kickoff return, and quarterback Sean Schaefer quickly had Towson in position to score. Columbia had one final possession and earned one first down, but four incomplete passes on the next series sealed their fate.

No. 17 Delaware 38 – Albany 7
Albany played its fourth straight CAA opponent Saturday and lost for the third time. An Albany touchdown at the beginning at the second quarter tied the game, but then Delaware reeled off 31 unanswered points. The Blue Hens were 11 of 17 on third-down conversions.

Boston College 42 – Rhode Island 0

Boston College scored all 42 of its points in 21 minutes and 44 seconds. BC also forced five Rhode Island turnovers and rushed for 289 yards on 40 attempts for over 7 yards a carry. Boston College only threw nine passes.

CAA Standings

North Division

New Hampshire (1-0, 4-0)

Hofstra (1-0, 2-2)

Northeastern (0-0, 1-3)

Massachusetts (0-1, 2-2)

Maine (0-2, 2-3)

Rhode Island (0-2, 1-4)

South Division

James Madison (2-0, 4-1)

Villanova (1-0, 3-1)

Richmond (2-1, 3-2)

William & Mary (0-0, 2-1)

Delaware (0-0, 2-2)

Towson (0-1, 2-3)