Sports in Brief: September 30

Field Hockey: Tribe loses to Vermont after dropping Northeastern

The College of William and Mary dropped its seventh non-conference match of the season, falling 2-1 to the University of Vermont Sunday. Sophomore midfielder Jenna Cinalli scored in the 10th minute of the match and gave the Tribe (2-7) an early lead. Vermont tied the match 10 minutes later and added the game-winner in the 51st minute. In its CAA opener Friday, the College defeated Northeastern University 2-1. Junior midfielder Wesley Drew scored the Tribe’s first goal off a penalty corner in the seventh minute, while senior midfielder Lauren Giles pushed the College’s lead to two early in the second half.

Women’s Tennis: Kargl leads Tribe at Hampton Collegiate Invite

College of William and Mary freshman Katie Kargl continued her stellar play for the Tribe, reaching the top singles flight championship of the Hampton Roads Intercollegiate Sunday. Kargl won three matches to advance to the final, where she came up short in the final against Old Dominion University’s Nadine Fahoum. She fell 6-2, 6-0 to the 100th-ranked player in the nation. The College’s doubles teams were not as successful, as both teams lost in the first round of play before rebounding in the consolation bracket.

Women’s Golf: College finishes fourth at Yale Intercollegiate

The College of William and Mary finished fourth at the Yale Intercollegiate Sunday — eight strokes behind tournament champion Harvard University. Rain shortened the event into a one day, 18-hole tournament. Junior Morgan Stepanek led the Tribe with a score of 73 (+2), earning fourth place overall, while sophomore Sarah Whitney also finished inside the top 10, posting a round of 75 (+4). The College posted a team score of 309 (+25).

Men’s Golf: Tribes sits eighth after first round at Hartford Invite

Senior Brent Paladino led the College of William and Mary in the first round of the Hartford Invitational in North Falmouth, Mass., shooting a one-under 70 and tying for third place. His round paced the Tribe to a team score of 299 (+11) in round one.

Kevin Lonabaugh and Andrew Pike contributed to this report.