Sports in Brief: October 7

Women’s Soccer: Daly wins 300th as Tribe takes two CAA contests

Head Coach John Daly recorded his 300th and 301st collegiate victories over the weekend. The College of William and Mary (8-4-1, 3-1 CAA) disposed of the University of Delaware 2-1 Friday in overtime, before dominating Drexel University 2-0 Sunday afternoon. Freshman midfielder Diana Weigel, who earned her first CAA rookie of the week award, registered both of the Tribe’s scores against the Dragons as senior goalkeeper Meghan Walker earned her third shutout of the season in net for the Tribe. Daly’s 300th win came in double overtime when junior midfielder Sarah Quinlan connected on a shot from just outside the penalty area against the Blue Hens. Quinlan also assisted on the College’s first score.

Volleyball: College beats Towson, extends winning streak

The College of William and Mary (13-3, 3-0 CAA) beat Towson University 3-2 Saturday after defeating the University of Delaware 3-2 Friday. Junior outside hitter Lauren Powell led the Tribe against the Tigers, notching 19 kills to complement her 16 digs. Sophomore outside hitter Erin Skipper finished a close second with 18 kills. Against the Blue Hens, Skipper (21 kills) was one of four teammates to have a double-digit kill total. The Tribe recovered from being down two sets to none before taking the final three sets, winning the match.

Men’s Soccer: Tribe travels to Mason, earns conference road win

Junior forward Price Thomas ended the College of William and Mary’s (5-2-2, 1-2 CAA) two-game losing skid when he scored an overtime goal giving the Tribe a 1-0 victory over George Mason University Saturday night. The goal was the third of the season for Thomas, and his second overtime game-winner. Thomas led all competitors with four shots, though the College was outshot by the Patriots 17-13. Each team notched four corner kicks, with all the Tribe’s attempts coming in the second half. Sophomore goalkeeper Andrew McAdams tallied a season-high six saves, while recording his second shutout of the year.

Women’s Golf: Hamel leads College at ECAC Championship

Freshman Kristen Hamel fired a school-record-tying 69 (-3) to leading the College of William and Mary to a tie for ninth place at the ECAC Championships at Kiskiack golf course in Williamsburg. Hamel’s 69 marked only the second time in Tribe history that a female golfer broke 70, and the first time a freshman accomplished the feat. Hamel finished the tournament in fourth place with a 148 (+4). Tribe freshman Kristine Rohrbaugh finished in 39th place with a 163 (+19).