Wrenstock mimics Woodstock values

Inspired by the 1969 Woodstock Music Festival, the student-produced Wrenstock promises to be a similar celebration of music and unity within the community at the College of William and Mary.

Humans for Animal Liberation and Vegetarian Alliance team up with Young Democrats to co-sponsor the first annual Wrenstock, which will be held tomorrow from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the Crim Dell Meadow. Led by HALVA President Erica Hart ’10 and HALVA Secretary Pablo Fierro ’10, the two hosts have been planning and advertising the event throughout the semester.

“The event was conceptualized last year, and we thought about involving more clubs, like SEAC and Young Democrats and other progressive groups,” Hart said.

Participating clubs will have tables set up along either side of the main stage, allowing them a free space to publicize their events and share their messages with Wrenstock attendees.

“The idea was to promote peace, love, harmony and a community that cares about community and cares about Williamsburg,” said BM Moeller ’10. “We want to bring something real to these ideas of community.”
Student bands Ctrl+Alt+DESTROY, Bum Kharma, the Wham Bam Big Band and Easy, Tiger are scheduled to play at the event. The festival organizers hope that the event will bring exposure to both the College’s music scene and the modern issues that are central to the musicians. Like the event, these bands want to emphasize community activism.

“We want Wrenstock as big and as inclusive as possible,” Fierro said. “We had originally planned to try to fill the Sunken Garden, just like at Woodstock, but security issues prevented it.”

By planning the event around music, HALVA hopes to increase visibility for more radical groups by providing an atmosphere that encourages people to discuss social activism.

“Beliefs will be communicated because of the positive environment,” Moeller said.

Other entertainment will include art projects and games. Students for a Democratic Society will host a free speech wall, a space for students to share their thoughts by spray painting messages on a cardboard wall. Face paint and tie-dye booths will echo the Woodstock fashions popularized by musicians in the 1960s. Attendees will have the opportunity to participate in yoga lessons and play Twister.

“All the activities are just associated with the idea that we as students should create a space where people can express themselves, and get to dialogue with the community,” Moeller said.

Many of the participating organizations have enjoyed increased membership and exposure since their involvement in the rallies for former College President Gene Nichol last spring. Moeller believes that the heavy presence of such groups prove that students have a powerful voice, and that they have the power to affect the College in unconventional ways when they come together. Wrenstock planners hope to combine these passions of campus activism with the cheerful atmosphere of a music festival.

“Really, this event is about having fun,” Fierro said.