Sports in Brief: November 7

Field Hockey: Tribe beats Drexel in CAA Tournament, advances

In the opening round of the CAA Tournament, the College of William and Mary rode a trio of first half scores to a 3-2 victory over Drexel University. Sophomore midfielder Jenna Cinalli netted the game winner 23 minutes into the contest, allowing the Tribe to move on to face top seeded James Madison University Saturday.

Women’s Soccer: Zimmeck earns regional, national honors

On the strength of a two-goal, one-assist performance last Thursday evening, College of William and Mary senior forward Claire Zimmeck earned CAA and ECAC honors as well as three national recognitions. Zimmeck was named co-CAA player of the week and ECAC co-offensive player of the week, as well as earning spots on three national teams of the week. She currently ranks third in the CAA in goals and fourth in total points this season. Zimmeck leads the College in both categories.

Cross Country: In national poll, Tribe men move up to no. 17

The College of William and Mary jumped up four places to no. 17 in the latest U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association poll released Tuesday. The Tribe improved its national ranking following its ninth consecutive CAA championship victory Saturday. The College also holds second place in the Southeast Regional rankings heading into the regional meet Nov. 15 in Winston-Salem, N.C. A top-two finish at the Southeast Regional meet will assure the College an automatic bid to the NCAA Championship meet.

Andrew Pike contributed to this reporting.