Live Blog: Tribe takes on VCU

Final – Tribe 50, VCU 66

The Tribe lacked the offensive firepower to launch a comeback. Sumner and Schneider were 10 of 32 combined from the field.

The College was with VCU for about 25 minutes tonight. Then it got ugly fast. The Tribe did hit the glass hard tonight. That’s one big positive for the Tribe.

3:02 2nd Half – Tribe 42, VCU 63

VCU’s 26-4 run put this game away. It happened quickly, as the Tribe went cold and started playing sloppy, turning the ball over. The College has missed plenty of layups tonight too.

It could be a long two weeks of practice before the Tribe plays again Dec. 20.

6:55 2nd Half – Tribe 40, VCU 56

VCU’s Rodriquez is lighting the Tribe up. He’s hit three straight three-pointers in the Rams’ 22-4 run.

Darnell brought the Tribe to within eight on two aggressive drives to the basket, but VCU erased that quickly.

10:38 2nd Half – Tribe 36, VCU 47

Rams run now at 13-0 after Maynor’s layup. He’ll step to the line for a free throw after the official timeout.

It’s a dangerous time for the Tribe. VCU’s opened up its largest lead of the game. Sumner has been the only active player for the Tribe offensively. Who will help him bring the College back?

11:43 2nd Half – Tribe 36, VCU 42

Tribe calls a timeout to stop a 8-0 Rams run. Maynor finally attacked the basket for a bucket. He’s averaging nearly 16 points per game in the second half. He’s got two so far.

Sumner sat for only 2:07. He’s back, and so is Brown.

15:25 2nd Half – Tribe 33, VCU 34

Peter Stein sparks a 6-1 Tribe run to start the half. Sumner and Brown pick up their third fouls early in the half. That’s big blow for the College.

Halftime stats

VCU is shooting 46 percent from the floor and 50 percent from beyond the arc, hitting seven of 14 attempts. The Tribe is three of 10 from long range.

The College owns a slight advantage on the boards. Eight offensive rebounds have really helped the Tribe.

Tribe stats
Sumner – 11 points, 0 rebounds
Schneider – 7 points, 2 assists
Darnell – 4 points

VCU stats
Rodriquez – 11 points, 3 of 4 from three-point range
Sanders – 6 points
Maynor – 5 points

Halftime – Tribe 27, VCU 33

VCU guard Brandon Rozzell hits a trey from the top of the key as the clock runs down to put the Rams up six at the halftime. It’s the largest VCU lead of the game.

Tribe’s rebounding performance is keeping the game close. The College really cooled down in the final minutes of the first half, going over three minutes without a basket.

Tribe superfan Chase Hathaway takes the court at halftime for a shooting contest. The students might be more into this than the actual game.

3:11 1st Half – Tribe 27, VCU 30

College really getting after it on the offensive glass in the first half, giving itself precious second-chance opportunities. Sumner has cooled off after his hot start. He’ll need to get it going again for the Tribe to win.

7:45 1st Half – Tribe 22, VCU 23

Tribe’s staying close despite VCU’s fullcourt pressure. McCurdy and Schneider are handling the pressure effectively.

Chris Darnell has given the College a lift off the bench, hitting the glass hard and attacking the basket.

11:57 1st Half – Tribe 16, VCU 18

VCU’s guard Joey Rodriquez sandwiches two three-pointers around Maynor’s first trey, as the Rams retake the lead.

Schneider has seven points now and looks more comfortable on the floor than he did Tuesday night at Loyola.

Stands have filled for the largest crowd of the season. It’s still small though.

15:09 1st Half – Tribe 12, VCU 9

Junior forward Danny Sumner has shown up. He’s three for four from the field with two three-pointers. Sumner scored the first nine points for the Tribe.

A missed 10-second violation by the refs gives junior guard David Schneider an open look from beyond the arc and he buries it.

Tribe is right where it wants to be.

7:00 p.m. – Starters introduced

VCU guard Eric Maynor is the last Ram introduced. How quickly can he take control of the game?

For the Tribe, freshman forward Quinn McDowell gets his first start. It’s a sign of confidence from Head Coach Tony Shaver. McDowell joins fellow freshman Kendrix Brown in the starting lineup.

6:50 p.m. – Tribe takes the floor

The Tribe took the court at Kaplan Arena in front of few fans. Under 10 minutes to tip-off and the student section is half-full. VCU has a large, loud set of fans. Should be a good atmosphere (for the Rams).