Sports in Brief: April 28

Women’s Track and Field: Morelli records second fastest time in school history

Senior Lynn Morelli ran a 34:42.13 in the 10,000-meter race at the Penn Relay Carnival Thursday night, the second fastest time in Tribe history. Seven College athletes qualified for the championship at the competition. Freshman Natalie Baird established a new school record with a discus throw of 155’5” and classmate Heather Beichner ran a 9:53.29 in the 3000-m to qualify for the U.S. Junior Championship in the event. Junior Nicole Kazuba finished just short of her personal best in the pole vault at 12’11.5”. The Tribe also qualified its 4×800-m relay team of senior Ashley Madonick, senior Emily Shroeder, junior Ariel Burbey and junior Kelly McElroy for ECAC Championships.

Men’s Track and Field: College preforms well at Penn Relays Carnival

The Tribe qualified three individuals for IC4As, and freshman Brandon Heroux turned in an impressive individual performance, at the Penn Relay Carnival over the weekend. In the 5,000-m race, all four of the College’s entrants recorded personal best runs. Sophomore Brian Sklodowski recorded the Tribe’s top time in the event with 14:16.76 for 17th place. In the pole vault, junior Kiernan Lofland reached a height of 15’3” for a fifth place finish in the college division. Freshman Liam Anastasia-Murphy’s 3,000-m Steeplechase run of 9:32.21 qualified him for the U.S. Junior Championships while Heroux’s javelin throw of 212’8” placed him in fourth.