Tribe Square Reviews: The Crust

The Crust, with the vocal stylings of Jean Knight and the like playing through speakers that can be heard from Richmond Road, and dim lighting welcoming you at the door, is a casual, yet polished dining experience. The atmosphere really sets a charming mood, readying you for the delicious meal, as they serve breakfast and lunch, and the friendly service you’ll receive while dining with friends.

While still fairly new, the authentic wooden tables, comfortable leather chairs and walls of exposed brick and oranges and browns combine to really create a cohesive and warm feeling. The wall around the door is painted with chalkboard paint and covered with quotes, the menu’s specials and the bar’s happy hours for both convenience and decoration.

There are many different areas available for seating: couches outside, large and comfortable booths against the walls, long rectangular tables in the center of the room and stools at the fully stocked bar with flat-screen televisions showing Fox News reports instead of the typical sports game.

The menu consists of pretty standard Italian dishes that are themed fairly similarly, save for a few oddities such as the hummus platter, the buffalo wings and the Jamaican crepe dessert. Each of the many options for starters, soups or entrees can be personalized, mixed or substituted with whatever variations or additions you want.

Although the food is delicious, the options available are not as extensive or traditional as some of the other popular restaurants around town such as The College Delly or Paul’s Deli. Prices at The Crust are a little on the pricey side, averaging between $7 and $10 for entrees, and some appetizers are as expensive, if not more, than the entrees themselves.

While enjoying live bands or quiet chatter, you can also see the food coming out of the oven, which is visible over the counter. Although it makes the wait for your food much harder, the service is fast, and it is comforting to know that everything is made fresh.

The sandwich I chose was the roasted tomato and mozzarella panini, which had mozzarella, tomato, basil, pesto and roasted peppers in it. It tasted very similar to the roasted pepper sandwich from The Cheese Shop, one of my favorites, although it was not nearly as satisfying. I would recommend the pizza, instead of one of the sub sandwiches.

This restaurant has the perfect date atmosphere, especially in the winter, when you can order a cup of hot tea and sit at a private table for two against the wall while enjoying the ambiance and whispering sweet nothings to one another over a nice bruschetta. However, it is equally as accommodating to families and groups of students or alumni who come to enjoy the campus atmosphere without the high prices of The Trellis or The Fat Canary.

With its convenient proximity to campus, the future of The Crust is sure to continue on a positive trend and its delicious food will undoubtedly remain a popular choice. I would definitely recommend sitting down to enjoy a nice meal there.

4 COMMENTS

1. If you think $7-$10 for an entree is expensive you are living in another universe.  While I wish restaurant-prepared food was cheaper, that is low to average cost.  Consult the prices of next door Green Leafe,  nearby chains Chipotle or even McDonalds and you will see the avg price around $7.  

Why would you recommend the pizza over the sandwich? Did you try the pizza? What kind of restaurant review samples one sandwich, alone, and is then out the door. Most reviewers bring a friend, order a few things to sample and then make an opinion.

Sorry I sound so critical, but these pieces can make or break an establishment.  Baker’s Crust is a small local chain with high quality, reasonable prices and usually good food. As an alum, I would hate for this location to fail.

• Reviews can definitely make or break an establishment, but this one isn’t going to. I read a generally positive first impression piece that didn’t fling any mud. Agree with the bit about the price, but $10 for a dinner entree, although still reasonably affordable, is slightly higher than nearby options. This is consistent with pricing at Baker’s Crust proper, which strikes me as around 10% or so above nearby averages, to throw a number out there.

But I agree with you on the last point — let’s hope The Crust really thrives!

2. If you think $7-$10 for an entree is expensive you are living in another universe.  While I wish restaurant-prepared food was cheaper, that is low to average cost.  Consult the prices of next door Green Leafe,  nearby chains Chipotle or even McDonalds and you will see the avg price around $7.  

3. Agreeing with the commenter below, I don’t really think this review does the restaurant justice. I’ve been a couple of times, and to characterize the menu as Italian is really, really wrong. Yes, they do have pizza and brushettas, but their salads and sandwiches are modern American. And I would definitely encourage the Flat Hat to review their pizzas, especially because of their striking differences from standard delivery or restaurant ones. Almost all of the menu items are on the regular menus at the real baker’s crust locations, (New Town, Ghent, etc.), but the selected items and ambiance at the Crust is all William and Mary. Additionally, the $7-$10 cost is very reasonable for the quality of the food you’re getting; the menu prices are comparable or cheaper then the same items at the other baker’s crust locations