McAuliffe appoints new BOV members

Gov. Terry McAuliffe (D-Va.) appointed three new members to the College of William and Mary’s Board of Visitors Monday. Sue Gerdelman ’76 will also serve a full term on the BOV after initially being appointed to fill a vacant seat in 2013.

William H. Payne II ’01, Christopher M. Little and Lisa E. Roday will each serve four-year terms beginning July 1. The three will replace Charles A. Banks III, Edward L. Flippen MBA ’67, JD ’74 and L. Clifford Schroeder.

“We will miss enormously the Board’s three departing members,” College President Taylor Reveley said in a press release. “Charlie Banks, Ed Flippen and Cliff Schroeder have made a great difference for the better at William and Mary. We are truly grateful to them for their manifold contributions to the progress of the university.”

Payne, the only alum joining the Board, is the communications director of the Virginia Sheriffs’ Institute and Virginia Sheriffs’ Association. He is also the co-founder and executive director of three nonprofit organizations. Payne has served as the assistant coach of the College’s hockey team and is a member of the College’s Annual Giving Board of Directors. He received the W&M Alumni Association Board of Directors Cup in 2011.

Little, who attended Yale University, led a long career as a publishing executive. Before retiring in 2001, Little served as president of various publications — including Newsweek magazine — as well as president of the publishing groups of the Meredith Corporation. He has also served as chairman of the president’s council of the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation.

Roday is a consultant specializing in time management, legal issues and fundraising. Working as a partner at three different law firms, Roday also taught law at the T.C. Williams School of Law in Richmond. In addition to her legal work, Roday has worked with the March of Dimes, receiving the Pat Rose Staff Excellence Award for her contributions. The award is the highest recognition given to a Virginia chapter March of Dimes employee. Roday’s sons graduated in the College’s Class of 2014.

Gerdelman was originally appointed by former Gov. Bob McDonnell (R-Va.) in January 2013, filling the seat left vacant after the resignation of former Board member Laura Flippin ’92. Gerdelman received her degree in elementary education from the College, going on to become a teacher before eventually working as executive assistant to the Assistant to the President for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism, as well as the associate director of the President’s National Economic Council. She received the Alumni Medallion in 2011. On the BOV, Gerdelman is the chair of the Committee on Development and is a member of the Executive Committee, the Committee on Athletics and the Richard Bland College Committee.

“It is marvelous to have Sue Gerdelman return to the Board of Visitors for a full term,” Reveley said. “We welcome as well our new members Will Payne, Chris Little and Lisa Roday. I look forward to working with them for the good of William and Mary.”