Swimming: College men, women defeat Old Dominion

William and Mary defeated Old Dominion Saturday, as both the men and women cruised to victories that extended their winning streaks.

The women rise to 7-3 overall and 2-2 in the Colonial Athletic Conference with their fourth straight road victory, 166-122. The men extended their winning streak to five consecutive meets and improved to 6-2 overall (2-1 CAA) with a 161-133 decision.

The men’s team set two dual-meet records, as junior Jeremiah O’Donnell reset his own duel-meet record in the 400-meter at 4 minutes and 2 seconds. O’Donnell also won the 100-meter breast at 56.56, good for eighth all-time in school history.

The College set the other dual-meet record by virtue of the 400-meter free relay — a team composed of senior Taegen Clark, junior Will Manion, sophomore Joe Eiden and junior Billy Russell. The four won the event with a time of 3:03.91, marking the 13th-fastest time in team history.

Manion and Eiden had yet another event to compete in, the 200-meter medley, in which they joined senior Matt Goetz and freshman Brett Barden. Rather than tiring after the 400-meter relay performance, Manion and Eiden bookended the second relay en route to a 1:32.13 time, good enough for the 12th-fastest race in Tribe history.

Manion also won the 200-meter free and the 200-meter back, winning the former with a personal best of 1:40.61. His backstroke performance broke the Chandler pool record of 1:49.08. Eiden added two victories in individual events as well, demonstrating speed and endurance in the 50-meter free and the 500-meter free. Freshman Tommy Kealy made the most of his first collegiate race, swimming the 1,000-meter free in 9:42.39, good for 13th all-time for the College.

The women’s squad swept the board in relays, setting a dual-meet record in the process. Sophomore Jaimie Miller, junior Noelle Klockner, junior Jessie Ustjanauskas and senior Megan Howard formed the team that set the 400-meter free relay school record at 3:28.65. Freshman Annie Valls switched in for Miller on the 200-meter medley relay, in which the College set the 14th-fastest time in school history with a 1:44.60 mark.

Miller, last year’s Colonial Athletic Association Rookie of the Year, continued her strong season after winning two events and participating in a winning relay squad at Davidson Jan. 10. Against Old Dominion, Miller claimed victory in the 50, 100 and 200-meter free, setting two pool records.

Ustjanauskas set a personal best time in the 100-meter free, clocking in at 52.23. Sophomore Sophie Rittenhouse added to the strong Tribe performance, sweeping the 100-meter and 200-meter backstroke with times of 57.21 and 2:03.11, respectively. Freshman Abby Mack claimed all the fly events. Mack took the 100-meter fly with a time of 56.51, and 2:06:28 for the 200-meter fly. Freshman Rachel Anderson took the 400-meter individual medley with at 4:34.56.

Up next is a dual matchup against East Carolina in Williamsburg at 12 p.m. Saturday.