A charter day to remember

Some of you may have been asking yourselves what you’ll be doing when you’re 323 years old. Well, I can tell you right now that your birthday party will not come anywhere near to what the College has in store for William and Mary’s three hundred and twenty third birthday extravaganza this year. The College is going all out for a two-day birthday extravaganza. Starting right at 4 a.m. on Friday, February 5th, students will be lucky enough to attend a school-wide Charter Day Ceremony Celebration commemorating some of the most notable events that happened in 1693: the first women’s magazine “The Ladies’ Mercury” was published, Dom Perignon invented champagne and William and Mary was officially chartered. What a year for history!

Some highlights of this year’s ceremony will include an address from Ellen Stofan ’83, NASA’s chief scientist. Read more about Ellen Stofan here. Additionally, on Saturday Feb. 6th at 2:30 p.m. the men’s basketball team will face off at home against Delaware. This is a Gold Rush game, and there will be free t-shirts for every student. This game will be televised, so get ready for your 15 minutes of fame! To read more about the game, and see the t-shirt design click here.

Finally, you have the opportunity to see yourself on the big screen! By using #wmCharterDay on Instagram, you have the potential to get your own pictures projected before the Friday Ceremony.

If all of these incredible opportunities aren’t what really floats your boat, just wait, because our very own Griffin will be celebrating with us during lunch hours at the Caf! I honestly don’t know what more you could want. This year’s Charter Day Ceremony promises to continue the incredible traditions that we love about William and Mary.

Contact the charter day student chairs at cppinkerton@email.wm.edu.