Baseball: Tribe takes two of three at James Madison

The loser of five straight games entering its three-game series with Colonial Athletic Association opponent James Madison, William and Mary took two of three from the Dukes in Harrisonburg, Va., improving its conference record to 6-5 in the process.

The Tribe (17-18, 6-5 CAA) started the series off on the wrong foot on Friday, falling to JMU 8-5 to extend its losing streak to six. Junior right-hander Nick Brown got the start for the College, but lasted just five innings, allowing eight runs on 11 hits. The Dukes (15-21, 5-7 CAA) jumped out to an early 5-0 lead three innings into the ballgame, scoring one run in the first, three in the second and once more in the third.

Facing an uphill climb, the Tribe responded with four runs in the top of the fourth. After a hit-by-pitch and a single put runners on first and second with no outs, junior first baseman Tim Hoehn opened the College’s account with an RBI single. A walk loaded the bases, leading to freshman catcher Hunter Smith’s RBI groundout. A single off the bat of senior center fielder Josh Smith, driving home two runs, followed another walk.

JMU seized momentum back in the bottom of the fifth, plating three more runs to extend their advantage to 8-4 and ending Brown’s outing, his fourth loss of the season. The Tribe scratched across one more run in the eighth. Hunter Smith’s double brought home freshman shortstop Kyle Wrighte, but it was too little too late as the Dukes claimed game one of the series 8-5.

The Tribe’s offense powered them to victory Saturday, pounding out 15 hits in an 11-4 win. Freshman left-hander Bodie Sheehan claimed the victory, going eight innings while giving up four runs on eight hits and a pair of walks.

Ahead 2-1, the Tribe exploded for six runs in the top of the fourth inning. The College sent 12 batters to the plate in that span, the damage being done not by the long ball, but through a combination of singles, walks, hit-by-pitches, a fielder’s choice and an error. Four different players picked up runs batted in during the frame, putting the Tribe in commanding position with an 8-1 lead.

Strong pitching took center stage in the rubber game, with three College pitchers combining to shut out the Dukes in a 2-0 Tribe victory. Junior right-hander Dan Powers pitched the first seven and one-third, allowing just three hits and three walks while striking out three, as well. Powers recorded his fifth win of the season, the fourth-best win total in the CAA.

The College added three more runs in the fifth to take a 10-run advantage before JMU managed to plate two more runs, the game concluding with a final score of 11-4. Senior first baseman Charley Gould went one for four, but drove in three runs while scoring two himself, while sophomore second baseman Cullen Large crossed the plate three times.

Senior right-handed pitcher Joseph Gaouette took the ball in the ninth and pitched a flawless frame, his sixth save of the season, giving the College a crucial series victory over the Dukes.

With runs in short supply the Tribe scored one run in the fourth and another in the eighth, ultimately plenty of support for Powers and his relievers. Gould scored both runs for the Tribe, junior right fielder Charles Ameer driving him home with a sacrifice fly in the fourth and Hunter Smith plating the preseason CAA Player of the Year with a single in the eighth.

JMU put runners on second and third with two outs in the bottom of the eighth, but sophomore right-hander Robert White induced a groundout to end the inning. Senior right-handed pitcher Joseph Gaouette took the ball in the ninth and pitched a flawless frame, his sixth save of the season, giving the College a crucial series victory over the Dukes.

The Tribe continues its eight-game road trip Tuesday, taking on in-state opponent Norfolk State at 5 p.m. before heading to Chapel Hill, N.C. Wednesday to face North Carolina. First pitch for the game against the Tar Heels is scheduled for 6 p.m.