Tribe suffers tough blowout loss to California-Davis

The Tribe suffered an extremely steep loss on home turf on Saturday against California-Davis. PHOTO COURTESY // TRIBE ATHLETICS.

Saturday, William and Mary hosted California-Davis in the first of a four-game homestand. The Tribe (4-7) was unable to break its losing streak, as it suffered its third loss in a row to the Aggies (6-4), 12-4.

The Aggies started off strong with midfielder Taylor Cuenin scoring her first of five goals for the match. This started a four-goal run for the Aggies before the Tribe was able to net its first from senior midfielder Abby Corkum.

After Corkum’s goal, the Aggies began a six-goal streak to increase their lead to 10-1, an advantage they carried into halftime.

The Aggies were again the first to score in the second half, pushing their lead to double digits.

The Tribe continued to fight, as sophomore midfielder Annalise Lower drove home her first goal of the season and the second of the game for the College.

This preceded the 12th and final goal for the Aggies.

Late in the second half, senior midfielder Emma MacLeod netted a free-position shot to decrease the Aggies’ lead to nine. Then, with less than two minutes in the game, freshman attacker Sophie Kopec drove home the fourth goal for the Tribe and the final goal of the game, marking her ninth tally of the season. However, neither goal would be enough to change the outcome of the game, as the Tribe fell by eight.

Looking ahead, the College will attempt to improve its record as it continues its homestand at Martin Family Stadium for the next three games. Next Sunday, the College opens its conference slate as Colonial Athletic Association opponent Hofstra will visit Williamsburg to face off against the Tribe.