Vehicle crashes into Reves Hall, one room loses power

One room in Reves Hall, a residence hall located on the corner of Jamestown Road and South Boundary Street, lost power after a vehicle crashed into the building April 14. COURTESY PHOTO / WM.EDU

Just before 9:00 p.m. April 14, a single vehicle crashed into Reves Hall, a residence hall located on the corner of Jamestown Road and South Boundary Street. The accident caused one room to lose power. At this time, it is not clear whether alcohol or another substance was involved in the accident, but the William and Mary Police Department said that the driver was not affiliated with the College of William and Mary.

Although the room in Reves Hall was occupied, the residents were not present at the time of the crash. Due to the power loss, they will be relocated for the night.

College spokesperson Suzanne Seurattan said that only the driver sustained injuries in the accident.

At 9:56 p.m., the College sent out a campus-wide alert that Jamestown Road and South Boundary Street are closed between Francis Street and South Boundary and South Boundary and Grigsby Street until further notice.

1. Another right foot pedal error, part of the right foot braking epidemic? If so let’s make sure we blame the driver, especially if they are a women or old (over 40!). Never blame the guys in charge of driver legislation and training who set the driver up to fail. They forced this driver to brake an automatic transmission vehicle with only the right foot. They did this knowing they had 0 Scientific Justification and that right foot braking is too complicated and difficult to mentally maintain with age, inefficient (poor stopping distance) and dangerous (subject to right foot pedal error) compared to the simpler and safer (But girly!) left foot braking method. See DOT HS 811 597, 812 058and 812 431 (spaces required). NHTSA refuses to use the term “right foot pedal errors” but instead calls it “pedal misapplication” and always blames the drivers for not being experts. Score to date, 150,000 dead (7 Every Day), millions injured, and billions in costs. The price male drivers, both in and out of government, are prepared to pay to maintain their systemic belief in a “Killer” braking method based on the scientific foundation of, “That’s the way it’s always been taught”! This is not about which braking method is safer but rather why they refuse to scientifically compare the two methods and continue to produce misinformation about other proposed braking methods. Was it driver error or the way we taught them to brake?