Volleyball: College drops matches to Northeastern, Hofstra on tail end of road swing

The Tribe dropped two matches last weekend and remains winless in conference play. COURTESY PHOTO / TRIBE ATHLETICS.

This weekend, William and Mary concluded its three-game road trip with a pair of Colonial Athletic Association losses to Northeastern and Hofstra. The Tribe (4-8, 0-3 CAA) remains winless in conference play after falling 3-1 to the Huskies (10-7, 3-1 CAA) and 3-0 to the Pride (13-5, 3-1 CAA).

Friday, the College started off strong, stealing the first set in a tight 25-20 victory despite starting the game down 5-1 early. Strong offensive performances by sophomore opposite hitter Kate Dedrick, freshman outside hitter Claire Farrell and sophomore middle blocker Julia Brown played a major role in the first set victory. Regardless, the Tribe went on to drop the second and third sets 25-14 and 25-18, respectively. This sent the match into a fourth set.

It seemed as though the College could come back and send the match into a fifth deciding set, but the Huskies refused to relinquish their lead. The Tribe jumped to a 2-0 advantage to start the set, at one point stretching its lead to five, 10-5. This is the biggest lead the Tribe would hold against the Huskies. The set continued in back-and-forth scoring, the lead constantly tossed between the two teams. A kill by freshman outside hitter Lauren Merrill off a senior setter Katie Kemp assist put the College up 19-18, the last time it would hold a lead in the game. A block by Northeastern’s outside hitter Hannah Boyd and middle blocker Natalie Shollin ended the fourth and final set 25-22 in the Huskies’ favor.

Dedrick, Brown and Farrell led the team on the offense with 13, 12 and 11 scoring hits, respectively. Brown, senior middle blocker Katie Primatic and Dedrick each contributed to four blocks. Junior setter Autumn Brenner led the back row with 12 digs, followed by Merrill with nine and junior outside hitter Casey Foote with eight.

Sunday, the Tribe was unable to notch a single set victory against Hofstra. In the first set, its most competitive of the contest, the College fell 25-21.

The Pride stole the second and third sets 25-15 and 25-18, respectively. Hofstra outplayed the Tribe in every aspect. Nearly doubling the College’s overall attack percentage, .302 to .105, the Pride recorded 45 kills to the Tribe’s 22 and 40 assists compared to 22. Seven of the College’s scoring hits came from Merrill and six from Dedrick. Brown recorded five aces, and sophomore libero Lauren Moussaid led the team on the defense with nine digs.

The Tribe will return home for the next four games, all CAA matchups. It will welcome Delaware to Kaplan Arena Oct. 5 at 7 p.m., followed by Towson the subsequent day at the same time. James Madison will visit Williamsburg to take on the College Oct. 8 at 6 p.m.