Grill rotation provides variety, structured schedule

GRAPHIC BY ANGELA VASISHTA / THE FLAT HAT

While the majority of us students spent winter break binging Netflix and lounging on the couch, the staff at Sadler was busy concocting a fancy new grill rotation for our enjoyment.
As advertised on napkin holders throughout the dining hall, each day will now bring a new grill specialty. You can start off your week on a high with grilled cheeses on Monday and end even higher with chicken nuggets on Friday.

Other days will bring such grill masterpieces as Italian sausage, quesadillas, buffalo chicken, and more.

I personally was thrilled to arrive back at campus to hear of this new development. Sadler is expanding its options past the usual hamburgers and grilled chicken sandwiches. This is a welcome development for students who have become tired of being limited by the same options every day.

Not only that, but now I can plan my day around what I eat in addition to my class schedule.
I will be comforted to know that I can easily cheer up with a quesadilla on Thursdays when I’m wondering how it’s possible that it’s still not Friday yet, and I can do so without having to relinquish a portion of my precious dining dollars to Qdoba.

I can also now have an extra day of chicken nuggets without feeling as though I spend more time (and money) at Chick-fil-A than I do anywhere else on campus.

Having a rotation provides every day with something special to look forward to. It makes each day unique in its own way, saving the week from feeling like a repeat of the same thing over and over again.

It also allows me to walk into Sadler with some idea of what to expect.

Yes, I could check the William and Mary app for the full menu, but the chances that I will think of that in advance or want to take the time to check are slim. If nothing else, I can at least know what special grill option is available, adding some peace of mind in case I find nothing else that appeals to my tastes that day.

This weekly schedule also gives me a touch of home. My family would eat many of the same meals for dinner every week, and I miss that predictability.

While all of the dining halls do offer the same things every day, I don’t automatically associate those options with different days, and they tend to feel overly predictable.

I don’t always want pizza when I can have it every day, but once a week is rare enough that I can continue to look forward to that buffalo chicken, no matter how many weeks in a row I have it.

Overall, this new rotation simply provides an additional option for how students would like to structure their meals, a positive for both students dying to change it up and those looking for a reliable meal schedule throughout their stressful weeks.

So thank you, Sadler, for switching things up (in addition to the new table arrangements) and giving us all something new to enjoy.

Email Caroline Wall at cewall01@email.wm.edu