Gymnastics: Men and women experience narrow losses against Navy and Towson

Jamie Holt // The Flat Hat

Jan. 26, the William and Mary gymnastics teams hosted a double-dual meet for both teams’ home openers. The men’s team took on Navy while the women’s team competed against Towson. Both teams saw individual highlights, but fell to their rival teams in close matches. The men’s team put up an overall score of 390.6 to Navy’s 394.250, while the women came in just behind Towson’s 194.075 with a score of 192.975.

The men put up their best overall tally of the season Saturday, earning four individual titles with winning marks by freshman Andrew Lyubovsky on parallel bars and high bar, senior Jacopo Gliozzi on pommel horse and senior David Watkins on rings. On floor, sophomore Cutter Fugett led the team with a 13.5 and second place overall. On vault, senior Jack Hasenkopf and sophomore Collin Lillie placed second and third with scores of 14.05 and 14.0, respectively.

The women led their respective meet with a 48.750 on floor. The team’s showing on beam was boosted by high scores from freshman Samantha Sakti, junior Taylor White and junior Evan Pakshong to stand as one of the program’s best scores in school history. Meanwhile, Sakti also led the team on vault, with a third-place score of 9.725, and on floor, with a score of 9.850, alongside junior Caroline Caponi. Bars were led by Caponi and Pakshong, while White placed second in the all-around with 38.850 just ahead of Caponi’s third-place finish of 38.350.

The men’s team will return home Feb. 2 for the State Open with Temple, while the women’s team will return home in March for a competition against North Carolina.