Men’s Golf: Tribe improves in final round, finishes 13th in Golden Horseshoe Intercollegiate

COURTESY PHOTO / TRIBE ATHLETICS

William and Mary finished strong in Tuesday’s final round of the Golden Horseshoe Intercollegiate, vaulting itself to 13th place overall with a 309 (+25) over the three days. 

One of the high points for the College in the intercollegiate was senior David Hicks finishing tied for 21st overall and posting the lowest Tribe score (223, +10) of the weekend. He shot even par (71) in the first round and followed it up with a 75 and 77 to round out the weekend. 

Another bright spot was freshman Matthew Feinstein, who fired a scorching 68 to begin the tournament and finished the first round tied with Drake’s Tommi Avant for the lead at -3. He went on to shoot 74 and 83 in the subsequent rounds to finish in a tie for 29th place overall with a 225 (+12).  

Sophomore Otto Voettiner put together three steady rounds as well for the Tribe, posting scores of 76, 77 and 79 to finish with a 232 (+19) and end up in a tie for 56th 

In addition, two birdies propelled junior Ben Morris to the clubhouse with a 72 (+1) in the final round for the College to earn him a tie for 63rd with a 234 overall and two rounds in the seventies. 

Sophomore Trevor Hecht posted a first-round 84 but followed it up with 73 and 81 to tie for 75th with a 238 and sophomore Garrett deFisser and freshman Jack Grier finished in a tie for 100th with a pair of 253s. 

The Tribe will finish up the regular season at the Rutherford Intercollegiate at the Penn State Golf Course April 13-14, looking to close the regular season in good form before the Colonial Athletic Association championship begins on April 19.