Field Hockey: Tribe snaps losing skid with 3-1 victory over Monmouth

JAMIE HOLT / THE FLAT HAT

William and Mary traveled to Long Branch, New Jersey Saturday, Sept. 22, to face off against Monmouth. Going into the game, the Hawks had an intimidating 5-2 record, while the Tribe looked to improve its 1-4 record after a tough 0-8 loss against No. 1-ranked North Carolina the previous week. However, the Tribe (2-4) was able to bounce back and come away with a 3-1 win over the Hawks (5-3).  

In the first period, the Tribe was able to establish its lead early. Five minutes into the game, Tribe senior midfielder Annie Snead drew a penalty corner on which junior defender Haley Hopkins was able to score her first goal of the season, assisted by sophomore midfielder Cara Menges and Snead. Just two minutes later, Hawks defender Hannah Schiavo drew a penalty corner for the Hawks, but a wide of goal shot by midfielder Aylin Aufenacker kept the Hawks scoreless. At 12 minutes, Snead was able to draw another penalty corner, but the Tribe could not get a second goal on this corner. By the end of the first period, the Tribe led the Hawks, 1-0.  

At the beginning of the second period, the Hawks came out with a new tenacity. Just 30 seconds in, sophomore forward Annick van Lange had a shot that ultimately went high. Soon after, Schiavo drew her second penalty corner of the game, on which Tribe sophomore goalkeeper Kimi Jones was able to save a shot by Hawks midfielder Josephine van der Hoop. A second scoring attempt by Aufenacker went wide, and the Tribe were able to regain possession of the ball and slow down the speed of play. Tribe senior midfielder Christie van de Kamp was the only member of the team with scoring attempts this period, but with her first shot going wide and second shot being saved by Hawks goalkeeper Kate O’Hogan, the Tribe came away scoreless this period. The Hawks were awarded a penalty corner with two minutes left in the half, again drawn by Schiavo, but van der Hoop’s shot on this corner was once again saved by Jones. The score remained 1-0 going into halftime.  

In the third period, the Tribe dominated the play early. After two shots by Menges and senior forward Woodard Hooper, respectively, Snead drew her third penalty corner of the game; she shot on goal, but her scoring attempt was stopped by a defensive save from Hawk defender Annie Deusch. After another penalty corner drawn by Snead that ultimately did not lead to a goal, van de Kamp was soon able to score her third goal of the season on a penalty stroke goal. Now down 2-0, the Hawks began a more aggressive style of play. Once again, Schiavo drew a penalty corner, but the shot by Hawks midfielder Ireen Frenken was blocked on a defensive save by Tribe senior midfielder Cassidy Goodwin. Soon after, Schiavo was awarded another corner and Frenken again had a shot on goal that was blocked. At the end of the period, the Tribe led the Hawks 2-0.  

The beginning of the fourth period was crucial for the Hawks to have any chance of a comeback. Three minutes in, Menges had a shot that nearly went in but was deflected by the crossbar. Two minutes later, van Lange had a shot that was saved by Jones, but Hawks forward Yasmin Pratt batted the rebound from this save in to give the Hawks their first goal of the game. At 2-1, the Hawks were just one goal away from tying the game, as the Tribe looked to distance the lead and solidify their victory. The Tribe was able to do this with two minutes left in the game, when van de Kamp found Hooper for her second goal of the season.  

The game ended with a decisive Tribe victory, as the Tribe beat the Hawks 3-1. This marks the last away game for a while for the Tribe, as their next five games will be played at home on Busch Field. The Tribe will look to establish a winning streak in their next game when they face Vermont Sept. 29 at 11 a.m. in Williamsburg.