Men’s Soccer: Saint Joseph’s takes down Tribe 4-1

COURTESY IMAGE / TRIBE ATHLETICS

William and Mary traveled to Philadelphia, Penn. Tuesday, Sept. 17 to face Saint Joseph’s. The game ended with the Tribe (0-3-2) losing to the Hawks (3-3-0) by a score of 4-1. 

The game began with little action, with both sides trading fouls and possession. The Hawks finally took the first shot on goal of the game in the 10th minute, but it was saved by Tribe freshman goalkeeper Kieran Baskett. The Hawks got their first break in the 26th minute, when a foul in the 18yard box led to a yellow card for Tribe junior defenseman Sam Golan and a penalty kick for the Hawks. Hawks forward Leon Maric then converted on the penalty kick to put the Hawks up 1-0. 

The Hawks then doubled their lead in the 38th minute, when a shot by Hawks midfielder Ritchie Barry was saved by Baskett, but the chance led to an open rebound opportunity by Hawks forward Bryce Wallace. The College then threatened with several corner kicks in the closing minutes of the half, but they could not capitalize, and the half ended with the Hawks leading 2-0. 

The second half began with the Tribe in control, with most of the possession and several opportunities to cut into the deficit causing saves by Wolfpack goalkeeper Joseph Boehm. The College finally broke through in the 69th minute on a goal by senior forward Julian Ngoh, assisted by sophomore midfielder John Eberle, which cut the deficit to 2-1. It was not to be, however, as the Hawks stretched the score to 3-1 on a second goal by Maric in the 80th minute and then to 4-1 on a goal by Hawks defenseman David Grana in the 87th minute. The game ended after regulation with the Tribe losing 4-1. 

The College will continue its season in Philadelphia on Saturday, Sept. 21 against Colonial Athletic Association rival Drexel. The Hawks will next host Atlantic-10 conference rival Duquesne on Saturday, Sept. 21.