Women’s Soccer: Tribe drops nonconference finale to Princeton 1-0

COURTESY IMAGE / TRIBE ATHLETICS

Sunday, Sept. 22, William and Mary (2-6-1) headed to New Jersey to take on Princeton (3-3-2) in its nonconference finale where the College eventually fell 1-0. 

The Tribe got off to a quick start with the first three shots of the game. The first went wide right at the 7minute mark off the foot of junior midfielder Erin Dailey. Junior forward Courtney Miles got the second shot at 18:56 that was saved by Tigers goalie Natalie Grossi. The third shot, taken by redshirt senior forward Sarah Segan, went wide right in the 24th minute.  

The Tigers came back with a couple shots of their own, each team finishing the half with six shots apiece. The difference came right before the half in the 43rd minute. Tigers forward Olivia Kane found forward Grace Sherman, who sent a ball across the box to midfielder Tatum Gee for what turned out to be the gamewinner. 

Coming out of halftime, the Tigers picked up right where they left off, earning five corners and outshooting the Tribe 177 in the second frame. Despite the shot deficit, the Tribe did not go down without a fight. Junior goalkeeper Katelyn Briguglio had a season high of 11 saves, all of which came in the second half.  

The Tribe had a couple chances for an equalizer late in the game. In the 84th and 89th minutes, Dailey and sophomore forward Renee Kohler, respectively, had attempts saved by Grossi. The College’s final scoring chance came with 32 seconds left in the game, when junior defender Kelsey Hamer had her shot go wide right, securing the Tigers victory.  

The Tribe will head to Harrisonburg, Virginia Thursday, Sept. 26, to open Colonial Athletic Association play against James Madison, the defending regular season conference champions. It will be back home Sunday, Sept. 29, to host Towson.