Men’s Soccer: Tribe picks up first CAA win against Cougars

Courtesy Photo / Tribe Athletics

Sat. Sept. 28, William and Mary (2-4-2, CAA 1-1-1) headed down to South Carolina to take on the Charleston Cougars (1-7-1, CAA 0-3-0) where the Tribe won 2-0, picking up its first Colonial Athletic Association win.

Both teams came out a little flat to start the game. The half ended scoreless, despite two shots on goal by the Tribe and one by the Cougars.

The College got a quick start coming out of halftime, with the first score coming from freshman forward Nathan Messer. In the 54th minute, freshman defender Alfredo Bozalongo nailed a Tribe free kick to the back of the box, where Charleston goalie Isaac Alstrom deflected the ball toward the right post. Messer was able to get his head on the ball and put it in the back of the net, giving the Tribe a 1-0 lead.

Seven minutes later in the 61st minute, the Tribe capitalized on another free kick from a similar spot as the one it previously scored on. Bozalongo put the ball in the middle of the box where junior defender Sam Golan headed it into the right side of the goal, putting the Tribe up 2-0.

The Cougars were only able to get one more shot on goal, but freshman goalkeeper Kieran Baskett saved it, sealing the Tribe’s 2-0 win.

The Tribe will return to South Carolina to take on Coastal Carolina Saturday, Oct. 5, with kickoff set for 7 p.m.