Williamsburg City Council deserves fresh perspectives, representative policies

COURTESY PHOTO / COUNT ON CALEB

I am running for Williamsburg City Council because of the necessity for fresh perspectives. The City Council is a collaborative group; they work together to reach decisions. If we were to have city councilors who were all alike, whether in age or socioeconomic background or tenure length, then our policies as a city would not be representative of the whole city.

So, I am running for City Council as the only candidate doing so below 55 years of age to bring an always necessary fresh perspective, but I am still doing so with the experience of having served in the local government before, as a planning commissioner. 

There are short term and the long term challenges for the Williamsburg area. I would most like to see us accomplish a resounding rebound from the economic hardships we are facing today and tomorrow. If there is a time for some fresh thinking, it is in these coming months of uncertainty. The most immediate challenge facing the city is making sure we can maintain our important city services, without the necessity of drastically raising taxes or entirely depleting our reserve fund, which we should not do.

Additionally, I am invested in the long-term success of our amazing city, as well. With a job starting in July, I have started looking at Williamsburg as a young professional, not only as a student at the College of William and Mary. And from that, I wonder what areas I can afford to live in and where are the professional communities with others my age.

From this perspective, the long-term challenges of Williamsburg are how can we be innovative enough to make sure this area is one anyone could live in. On the City Council, I will be focused on providing opportunities for businesses to thrive and curious to identify ways to offer housing that is affordable for everyone who wants to live in this city they love.

I will also be invested in seeing the city care for its in-need community. Over the past few weeks, a team and I have assisted with delivering meals with Meals on Wheels. We deliver dozens of meals to local hotels with full families living in one room on a daily basis. There’s a community that needs our help whether we see them or not.

The challenges Williamsburg faces are short and long-term. We will have to respond well to the current crisis so that we can successfully address some of our long-term necessities, as well.

Email Caleb Rogers at ctrogers@email.wm.edu.