Women’s Lacrosse: College overcomes a six-goal deficit to topple Camels

NICK MEYER / THE FLAT HAT

After falling behind 11-5 at halftime, William and Mary came out firing against Campbell in the second half Saturday, outscoring the Camels 11-1 in the second 30 minutes to win 16-12.

Leading the attack was junior Belle Martire, who posted seven goals to give her 99 on her Tribe career, one shy of becoming the 21st player in the College’s history to reach the century mark. She also recorded eight draw controls to up her total to 24 over the last three games.

NICK MEYER / THE FLAT HAT

Junior midfielder Sabrina Schrader also contributed three goals and four draw controls, and midfielder Kathleen Cozzi and sophomore midfielder Sydney Sloan both punched in two goals.

The Tribe led the Camels in nearly all major stats, with 33 shots to their 28, 17 turnovers to their 20 and 21 ground balls to their 18. The Tribe also outshot the Camels 16-6 in the second half. Key in Campbell’s early lead were seven first-half free position shots to the Tribe’s four, but second-half defensive intensity won the day for the green and gold. 

NICK MEYER / THE FLAT HAT

The 12 goals given up were the second fewest for the team all season, with senior goalkeeper Elsa Rall surrendering just one score in the second half and freshman defender Caroline Hertzberg notched four caused turnovers along with three ground balls. No Camel scored more than three goals in the contest.

The win moves the Tribe to 3-3 on the year with one more game before conference play. The College will attempt to move above .500 Mar. 27 vs. Radford at 4 p.m.