SA welcomes 329th senate

EMMA FORD AND KIM LORES / THE FLAT HAT

Tuesday, Apr. 20, the College of William and Mary’s 329th Student Assembly welcomed new senators and elected new leadership within the senate. 

Senators nominated Sen. Owen Williams ’23 as Chair of the Senate to replace the position filled by newly elected SA President Meghana Boojala ’22. Williams discussed goals of improving transparency and creating a space within SA for senators to voice all of their concerns and opinions. 

Williams believed that his role on critical pieces of legislation like the Willis-Harris Resolution, which condemned police brutality and white supremacy within the United States and at the College, gave him experience in writing difficult bills and guiding senators towards forming important legislation. 

To replace current Sen. Maheen Saeed ’23 as secretary of senate, senators elected new Sen. Cody Armstrong ’22. Although Armstrong does not have prior experience in SA, he remarked that he hoped to bring a new level of transparency to the role by taking detailed notes and using social media to better communicate with the student body. 

Lastly, senators nominated Sen. Gloriana Cubero Fernandez ’24 as historian. Cubero Fernandez said that she enjoyed keeping documents organized and felt that she would do a good job keeping the SA Google Drive updated as well as the website. Sen. Sailor Miao ’24 jokingly asked Cubero Fernandez if she were to be elected, would she attend the Class of 2024 meetings, to which she promised to increase attendance next semester. 

Also at this week’s meeting:

• Chair of the Review Board Braeden Salazar ’21 administered the oath of office to the four senators who could not attend the SA inauguration Apr. 19. These senators included newcomers Keri Broughton M.B.A. ’22 and Olivia Larmon M.B.A. ’22 as well as returning senators Abbey Sisti Ph.D. ’22 and Maheen Saeed ’23.