Men’s Soccer: Tribe selected fifth in preseason CAA poll, retains 10 of 11 starters from last season

The Flat Hat / Jamie Holt

The Tribe dropped an exhibition to American last Saturday, Aug. 21, failing to record a shot on goal in its final scrimmage before the 2021-22 season.

By no means a blowout, the College did have eight shots to the Eagles’ 10 and occupied 45% of the match’s possession. Junior John Andrew Eskay posted three shots of his own and the team prioritized analysis of its depth, giving 19 different players some game time in the exhibition setting.

The campaign began with high hopes for the Tribe, being selected fifth in the CAA preseason coaches’ poll and junior Alexander Levengood earning CAA Preseason All-Conference honors. One of only 15 selected, Levengood looks to build upon the success of his All-CAA First Team campaign last season and a career that now amasses 10 goals in 24 games. Sophomore goalkeeper Will Stack was also named as an honorable mention.

Also in the College’s favor this season will be its continuity, retaining 10 of its 11 starters, four of whom earned honors last season. Levengood (first team), juniors Marcos Villeda (third team) and Alfredo Bozalongo (second team) and sophomore Joe Core (third team) all achieved All-CAA recognition in the previous spring season.

Also in the top five of the CAA preseason poll were familiar rivals James Madison, UNC-W, Hofstra and Drexel. The Dukes won the conference last year and topped the poll as favorites to repeat, earning seven of the available nine first-place votes. UNC-W and Drexel accounted for the other two votes to win.

This season boasts several compelling matchups for the College, including ACC teams like NC State, Wake Forest, and Virginia Tech, which will be a home game for the Tribe on Sept. 21. It also faces off against Old Dominion and all the familiar CAA foes to round out the 15-game slate.

The Tribe opens its 2021-22 campaign on Tuesday, Sept. 7 at 7 p.m. when it takes on Old Dominion on the road. Its first contest at home is scheduled for Friday, Sept. 10 against Saint Francis (Pa.) at 5 p.m.