Law students launch “No Degree for Bigotry” campaign against Youngkin

Courtesy Photo / Change.org

Friday, Feb. 11, Governor Glenn Youngkin will be speaking at the College of William and Mary’s 329th Charter Day ceremony, where he is scheduled to receive an honorary degree. Due to controversial policies introduced by Youngkin, such as a ban on teaching critical race theory in public schools, some students are pushing back against his presence on campus. Skye McCollum J.D. ’24 has assisted in the creation of a campaign titled “No Degrees for Bigotry” in opposition to Youngkin’s anticipated honorary degree.

“Me and two other law students saw that this was happening on Charter Day, and we were immediately very confused and upset about it,” McCollum said. “It seems to oppose everything that William and Mary says that they support.”

Charter Day, which was originally known as Founder’s Day, marks the day on which the College’s charter was granted by King William III and Queen Mary II. The celebration of the grant of the College’s royal charter has been celebrated annually since its initiation by President John Stewart Bryan on Feb. 8, 1937. The College has traditionally invited the newly-elected governor to speak at Charter Day and receive an honorary degree during their first year in office.

“We look forward to a lively Charter Day in this, our 329th spring,” College President Katherine Rowe wrote in an email to students. “We will celebrate our community and set a course for W&M’s future through Vision 2026. We welcome Governor-elect Youngkin to that celebration while he plans for the future of the commonwealth.”

However, McCollum argues that by granting an honorary degree to Governor Youngkin, the administration is honoring someone who does not deserve the College’s endorsement.

“When you give someone an honorary degree, you’re saying that you support what they believe in, and that makes no sense, as he has just gotten into office, and all he’s really done for public service is censor education,” McCollum said. “I mean, this is a college of higher learning. What are we saying if that’s who we want to give an honorary degree to?”

The “No Degrees for Bigotry” created a public petition, asking the Board of Visitors to not confer an honorary degree to Governor Youngkin. Sophia Kingsley ’24, J.D. ’24 is one of the leaders of the movement and the curator of the public petition.

As of Feb. 7, the Change.org petition has garnered 1,307 signatures.

“Students from historically-marginalized groups cannot feel respected or included when the administration consistently awards honorary degrees to individuals to seek to further their oppression,” Kingsley wrote.

McCollum points to the College’s recent survey on diversity, equity and inclusion, showing the presence of widespread prejudice on campus, as reason to prevent Youngkin from receiving an honorary degree. If the College wanted to promote inclusion, McCollum argues, they would not invite Governor Youngkin.

“It comes in contrast with the diversity, equity, and inclusion report that just came out, that the College did,” McCollum said. “They said that they were going to reaffirm their commitment to making sure diverse voices were uplifted and having difficult conversations, and at the same time, they’re doing this. It seems completely paradoxical and doesn’t align with what they say they want to do.”

In a Jan. 27 email from the Chief Diversity Officer Fańchon Glover, summarizing the College’s report on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, the intention of the College’s administration is outlined as a commitment to “identify barriers to inclusivity and opportunities to improve belonging on campus.” According to the report, “the history of Williamsburg and William and Mary continue[s] to negatively impact the experience of employees and students. Some participants described the community as unwelcoming to POC and LGBTQ+.”

The founders of the “No Degrees for Bigotry” movement acknowledge the longstanding tradition of Virginia governors receiving honorary degrees from the College, but argue that if unchecked, the tradition can be problematic.

“If they can revoke degrees if the recipient doesn’t align with their values, they can change this tradition,” McCollum said. “It’s not unprecedented for people to be uninvited or have their degrees taken away if they don’t meet the values of William and Mary. And I think that this is a problematic tradition, stretching back all the way to the founding of the College.”

2 COMMENTS

1. As an alumna, I strongly disagree with the campaign “No Degree Against Bigotry.” William and Mary is and has always been about the welcoming of diverse ideas, as higher education SHOULD be about. One idea does not rule. Shutting down someone (in this case, Governor Youngkin) for having a different perspective than you is the ACTUAL definition of bigotry (bigotry = obstinate or unreasonable attachment to a belief, opinion, or faction, in particular prejudice against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group). You are doing what you say you despise.

Wake up, students. Focus on your studies and stop trying to bully our College into caving to your political agenda.

2. Absolutely appalled with Charter Day Plans… Olde Guarde Class of ‘64… In all my years and love for the College, I have never been so disappointed in my Alma Mater.