Saric wins singles match, not enough to beat Cyclones

Freshman Ine Stange prepares for a hit during her match on Saturday, March 5 at the Millie-West Tennis Facility. THE FLAT HAT / RYAN GOODMAN

Despite another standout performance from senior Mila Saric at the No. 1 spot, William and Mary (3-6) suffered a one-sided defeat Sunday, March 6, against Iowa State (9-0) in the last match before spring break.

At the No. 1 singles spot, Saric has become accustomed to facing off against the nation’s best, having just downed the 79th ranked player in the country from Charlotte, Nc.. Across the net in this contest was the Cyclones’ 51st ranked Thasaporn Naklo, who dished out a quick 6-1 blow to Saric in the first set. However, Saric rallied in the second and third sets, claiming them 6-4 and 6-3, respectively, to pull out the comeback win. 

The other matches were far from blowouts, with each of the top five going three sets, but outside of No. 1 each Cyclone prevailed in the deciding set. At No. 2, freshman Hedda Gurholt lost the opening set in a tiebreaker and rallied to claim the second set 7-5, but dropped the decider 6-2. 

At No. 3 singles, junior Elisa Van Meeteren also fought back after a 6-2 first set defeat with a tiebreaker win in the second, but fell 7-5 in the decider. At No. 4, junior Raffaela Alhach won the first set in a tiebreak but dropped the second and third 6-2, 6-2.

The Tribe was unable to capture a doubles win in the afternoon, dropping No. 1 doubles 6-4 and No. 2 doubles 6-2.

The team will take the court next during spring break, traveling across the southern state line to take on East Carolina on March 16 and attempt to earn its fourth win of the season. It then has a wealth of conference plays after that, facing familiar foes like UNCW, Charleston, Drexel and Delaware before the Colonial Athletic Association Championship takes place at the end of April.