Masks no longer required in indoor spaces

Masks are now optional, but recommended on almost all indoor spaces. ETHAN BROWN / THE FLAT HAT

Tuesday, March 29, Chief Operating Officer and COVID-19 Director Amy Sebring announced an updated mask policy for The College of William and Mary. Effective Wednesday, March 30, masks will be recommended, but not required indoors on campus. 

Masks will now be optional in almost all indoor spaces including classrooms and labs, where they were previously required. Masking will still be enforced at the Student Health Center and on public transportation, as mandated by federal guidelines. 

The new policy comes in response to a March 24 update in which the CDC designated the City of Williamsburg, James City County, York County and Gloucester County as reflecting low levels of the virus. At the time of Sebring’s email, The College’s COVID-19 dashboard identified only six active cases among students and staff.

This change marks the most relaxed COVID regulations the College has seen since March 2020. But Sebring stated that while COVID levels are currently low, the College will continue to monitor and respond with new policies when necessary.

“We should likewise anticipate that there may be periods during which W&M will again require masks or adopt additional operational changes in response to changing COVID-19 conditions,” Sebring wrote in the email. 

Additionally, she emphasized the importance of respecting those who choose to continue to wear masks. 

“Masks continue to be welcome on our campus. Consistent with our value of belonging, we expect the community to support those who decide to wear them,” Sebring wrote.