Get your bivalent booster shot

Yelena Fleming // The Flat Hat

Jake Forbes is a junior at William & Mary. He is double majoring in Government and Public Policy, with a targeted interest in health policy. Forbes is the Sports Editor of the Flat Hat, President of Club Golf, and a member of Club Gymnastics. You can reach him at jmforbes@wm.edu.

The views expressed in the article are the author’s own.

Earlier this month, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommended anyone 12 or older receive the bivalent COVID-19 booster vaccination that targets the Omicron variants. Distribution efforts are already well underway, but many students are unaware of the new recommendations.

As we return to a new “normal” without masks, social distancing or free testing, vaccines remain our best defense against outbreak. Just two weeks into school, COVID-19 cases are already high, and the community is feeling the effects. Students are missing classes, teams and clubs are postponing events, and Fraternity and Sorority Life has altered its recruitment process.

Upon entering office in January, Republican Gov. Glenn Youngkin signed a series of executive orders, including an order that prohibits COVID-19 vaccine requirements for state employees. As a state school, the College of William and Mary reversed its decision to require students to keep up with CDC guidelines. Instead, the College now “strongly encourages all students, faculty and staff to obtain COVID-19 vaccination and the appropriate boosters.”

The CDC’s independent vaccine advisory panel overwhelmingly recommended the updated Moderna booster for all adults, and the updated Pfizer-BioNTech booster for ages 12 and up. Doses are already available in the community, and there are many open appointments. Included below is a list of vaccination sites close to campus.

CVS  – 1600 Richmond Road, Williamsburg, VA, 23185

Walgreens – 1309 Richmond Road, Williamsburg, VA 23185

For the last year and a half, public health officials have emphasized the importance of a high community vaccination rate. Many students remain hesitant to receive the booster, but doing so will greatly reduce transmission of the virus and promote our return to normal campus life.

For more information on COVID-19, please visit the CDC website.

Let us know whether you agree with this article here