Volleyball loses two close matches to Delaware at Kaplan Arena

Members of the volleyball team prepare to hit the ball during their match against Delaware on Saturday, Nov. 5. SAMUEL LI // THE FLAT HAT

Saturday, Nov. 5 and Sunday, Nov. 6, William and Mary (11-11, 6-8 CAA) lost both matches against Delaware (14-10, 10-6 CAA) 3-2 at Kaplan Arena this weekend. Ahead of Sunday’s match, seniors Kaitlyn Ferguson, Anna Porter and Sydney Taylor were honored for their efforts.

The first match of the weekend was as close as could be. Neither team won a set by more than two points. There were 15 lead changes and 46 ties throughout the game.

Delaware captured an extended first set 35-33 and the third set 25-23. Despite losing the opening set, libero Anna Porter recorded 11 of her 27 digs on the day. Sydney Taylor recorded five kills in the first set.

The Tribe won the second set 26-24 and the fourth set 25-23. In the fourth set, the Tribe battled back to extend the match to a fifth set. The home team had 16 kills in a set that had 12 ties and five lead changes.

However, Delaware prevailed in the fifth and final set, edging out the Tribe 15-13. The visiting team recorded five aces, compared to the Tribe’s single ace.

Sophomore outside hitter Eleanor Stotoff finished Saturday with 15 kills and 10 blocks, making a new season high. Sophomore setter Amy Scwhem recorded 24 assists and 11 digs, and graduate student setter Emma Minnick completed 25 assists and 16 digs.

When the two teams met again Sunday afternoon, the match was nearly as close. The Tribe dropped the opening set 25-21 after holding a lead for most of the set. Delaware won six straight points to win the set.

The Tribe bounced back in the second set with a 25-21 victory. After losing an extended third set 27-25, the team bounced back in the fourth to win 25-20, sending the team’s to a fifth set for the second straight day.

However, the Tribe appeared sluggish in their tenth set of the weekend, losing 15-7. Delaware jumped out to a quick 5-0 lead and never looked back.

William and Mary bettered Delaware in team kills, attempts, hitting percentage, points and assists. Burrell recorded 21 kills, two aces and a block. Stothoff finished the match close behind with 20 kills and 5 blocks.

The Tribe will close out their regular season play at Northeastern this weekend before beginning CAA Championship play. Despite losing both matches this weekend, the Tribe are guaranteed a top eight seed for the tournament.