Jeremy P. Martin announced as William and Mary vice president for strategy and innovation

COURTESY PHOTO // W&M NEWS

Monday, Dec. 5, President Katherine Rowe announced that the College of William and Mary’s Chief of Staff Jeremy P. Martin PhD ’12, M.B.A ’17 would be the new vice president for strategy and innovation.

“I am pleased to share that following a national search I have appointed Jeremy Martin Ph.D. ‘12, M.B.A. ‘17 as William & Mary’s vice president for strategy and innovation (VPSI),” Rowe wrote in an email to the community. “In this role, Dr. Martin will oversee the offices of Strategic Initiatives and Public Affairs, University and Enrollment.”

As part of Martin’s new role, he will be responsible for the coordination of College admissions, marketing and communications processes, as well as strategies for elevating the College’s enrollment revenue. 

“Dr. Martin brings years of experience in higher education leadership, financial expertise, and strategic awareness to this important role,” Rowe wrote. “William and Mary has seen him in action at the helm of several units on campus, where his versatility, creative and critical thinking have earned him widespread respect and trust.”

Martin first began his work at the College in 2008 as he pursued a series of graduate assistantships in a variety of institutions, including the School of Education and the President’s Office. He became assistant to the president and provost in 2012 and served in the role for five years, later becoming associate provost and assistant to the president. He then became chief of staff in 2019 and was responsible for communication and executive decision-making processes.

“Throughout his time at W&M, Martin has taught classes on higher education, finance and data in W&M’s School of Education and served on multiple committees, including the Strategic Planning Steering committee,” Senior Associate Director of University News Erin Zagursky wrote in an article released Monday, Dec. 5. “As co-chair of that group at the outset of its work, Martin helped facilitate drafting the mission, vision and values statements of the university.” 

Martin’s work with the College also earned him the Shirley Aceto Award in 2021, which honors individuals who exhibit excellence in service to the community. 

“Since I first stepped on campus, William & Mary has been a defining experience for me. So many people – faculty, staff and students – have invested themselves in my growth as a person and professional,” Martin said. “I am grateful for the opportunity to serve the university in this new role as we fulfill William & Mary’s mission to convene ‘great hearts and minds’ in this new community that fosters such deep human connection.”