College receives record increase in Early Decision applications, celebrates growing interest in binding admissions

JAMIE HOLT / THE FLAT HAT

Jan. 31, 2023, The College of William and Mary received a record increase of 18% for Early Decision applications. This is the second consecutive year the applicant pool increased significantly for the Early Decision phase of admissions. 

The College hosts two separate rounds of Early Decision applications prior to the regular admission process. 

“We are honored and excited to see continuing growth in the pool of highly accomplished applicants for whom William and Mary is their top choice,” Dean of Admission Tim Wolfe said in a press release. “It says a great deal about the quality of the education, community and experience that we offer. It also speaks volumes about the extraordinary partners throughout campus dedicated to recruiting talented students to the university.” 

The notable increase in Early Decision applicants includes both in-state and out-of-state students, as well as first-generation students and students applying with a fee waiver. 

Wolfe mentioned the increase of first-generation students and those using a fee waiver may correlate with the College’s recent initiatives to increase affordability in the form of financial aid and scholarships, including the recent initiative to guarantee aid through scholarship for all in-state undergraduate students eligible for a Pell Grant. 

“On average, William and Mary is the most affordable university in Virginia for students with need and also provides them with the highest probability of completing their degree on time,” Vice President for Strategy and Innovation Jeremy Martin said in a press release. “We are committed to ensuring that high caliber students recognize that they belong here and can succeed at the university.” 

Notifications for applicants in the Early Decision II pool were sent on Jan. 25 and applicants in the Early Decision I pool were notified of their admissions status in December 2022. For the two Early Decision groups combined, the College received 1460 applications. 

The College will offer admission to roughly 664 students, marking an increase of 10% over the past year. The increase in Early Decision admission does not alter the size of the incoming freshman class of 2027. 

Wolfe and the admissions team are now working to complete the regular admission process. Applications for regular admission were due Jan. 2, with notifications regarding admission status expected to be sent by the end of March.