College mourns death of Swem Library employee Mildred Sink

COURTESY PHOTO / THE FLAT HAT

Thursday, Aug. 31, College of William and Mary Interim Associate Vice President for Business Affairs Sean Hughes sent an email to students announcing the passing of Earl Gregg Swem Library employee Mildred Sink. According to her obituary, Sink passed away on Aug. 27 at 61 years of age at Riverside Regional Medical Center in Newport News, Va. 

Sink received her B.A. in art education from Radford University and worked as a nanny and a guide at the Colonial Jamestown Museum. She began her work at the College in 1999 as a night supervisor and employee behind the circulation desk at Earl Gregg Swem Library. 

“Mildred’s generosity and kindness touched so many in the W&M community, and she will be greatly missed,” Hughes wrote in an email to the College community. “Our deepest sympathies go to her colleagues, friends, and family.”

According to Hughes’ email, Sink will be remembered as a great friend who always made time for students and colleagues. Sink often taught sewing and quilting lessons in the library’s Makerspace.

In 2021-2022, Sink was awarded the William and Mary Diversity Champion Award for her leadership and involvement in diversity and inclusion initiatives. 

“Left to cherish her memory are her brothers, Cecil Wayne Sink & Crissy Blankenship, Bryan Keith Sink and Marsha Eileen Kornegay; her niece and nephews, Alys Nicole Sink, Nicholas Coleman Sink and Jordan Isaiah Sink;  a special aunt & uncle, Robert & Marie Dalton and their children, Gregory Dalton and Steven Dalton; two very special twins she had as a nanny, Christopher McKenzie and Ian McKenzie; and several special friends,” Sink’s obituary reads.  

Sink’s memorial will be announced at a later date and flowers in her memory can be purchased at the A. Vest and Sons Funeral Home Sympathy Store.