Women’s soccer outmatched by CAA rival Towson, loses 3-0

RYAN GOODMAN / THE FLAT HAT

The following article was previously published on The Flat Hat’s website during the week of Oct. 23. However, due to an unforeseen technological glitch, it was removed from the website for a period of time and was re-uploaded today, Nov. 8.

Thursday, Oct. 19, William and Mary women’s soccer (9-3-6, 6-3-3 CAA) lost 3-0 to Towson (12-2-2, 8-1-2 CAA) at Martin Family Stadium in Williamsburg, Va. The conference matchup against visiting Towson marked William and Mary’s first home loss of the season.

It was a dominant offensive performance from Towson, starting off hot with an early shot that just missed off target in the third minute. The visitors managed to connect in the 11th minute into the top right corner of the net from a strike by senior forward Jasmine Hamid.

Junior goalkeeper Morgan Wood was in the goal for the Tribe, making a key save in the 34th minute to keep the deficit to one. In the entire first half, William and Mary only took one shot on target. A free kick from freshman midfielder Lindsay Wilson played to fifth-year midfielder Jillian O’Toole, whose header was barely deflected by Towson’s goalkeeper. The first half concluded with the Tribe trailing 1-0. 

Eight minutes into the second half, Towson struck again with a goal from senior forward Nia Christopher to extend the lead to two. A Towson scoring chance arose after William and Mary received a penalty in the 63rd minute, sending Hamid to take a penalty kick that missed just left of the goal. Three minutes later, another penalty was called, giving Hamid the opportunity to redeem the last attempt. This time, she finished the attempt, converting the goal to make it a 3-0 Towson lead. 

Despite offensive efforts from the Tribe offense led by sophomore forward Ivey Crain — who had a shot on goal saved in the 73rd minute — the deficit could not be closed. William and Mary was handed its third loss of the season, its first loss at home, with a final score of 3-0. Though the Tribe fell to Towson, they still clinched a spot in the Coastal Athletic Association tournament, so its season will continue past the regular season for the second year in a row. 

The Tribe will play its last regular season game on Oct. 22 against Northeastern (8-4-5, 6-2-4 CAA) at Martin Family Stadium in Williamsburg, Va. William and Mary will play the Huskies again on Thursday, Oct. 26 in the CAA quarterfinals.