Roses for Rosemary initiative launched to support student’s recovery

COURTESY PHOTO / ELI WEISSENBOECK

Saturday, Nov. 11, the College of William and Mary’s Vice President for Student Affairs Ginger Ambler sent an email to the student body to give an update on the recovery status of Rosemary Raynal ’25, who sustained injuries in a pedestrian-vehicle collision Oct. 26 while crossing Richmond Road. Ambler encouraged students to send cards to Raynal’s home to express their support during her recovery.

“Rosemary is now in a trauma rehab unit at Wake Medical, near where her family lives in North Carolina,” Ambler wrote. “Her parents tell us she is receiving great care there for a brain injury. Rosemary has a long road of recovery ahead, but she and her family are hopeful about her progress and healing and taking it one day at a time. Rosemary says she misses W&M — and her family appreciates having the strong support of the campus community.”

Eli Weissenboeck ’24 hopes to support Raynal through a campus-wide initiative titled “Roses for Rosemary,” working in collaboration with Ambler’s office. When Weissenboeck first heard of Raynal’s injuries, she had been working as president of the College Red Cross blood drive and became inspired to begin the initiative. 

“The accident really shook everyone on campus as I’m sure so many students are aware that it really could have happened to any one of us,” Weissenboeck wrote in an email to the Flat Hat. “I became really determined to push our blood drive, since all of our donations go to hospitals around the country to help similar patients in need. At the time, it felt like that was the only thing I could do to help the situation.”

The initiative is currently in its initial stages, with Weissenboeck recruiting organizations to act as sponsors to spread the word to students via a social media flier. The program will collect cards for Raynal and organize drop-off stations. There are currently two drop-off locations — one in ISC 1039 and one at the Sadler Center’s front desk. As of Monday, Nov. 13, Weissenboeck said 15 campus organizations have given their support to the initiative, including the College Red Cross, Alpha Phi Omega and more. 

“Rosemary Raynal is a member of the Tribe and we are all a community built on supporting and caring for each other, especially during our times of need,” Weissenbock wrote. “The mission of Roses for Rosemary is to send letters with floral designs to show our support for Rosemary.”

Weissenboeck mentioned that from Nov. 27 to Dec. 8, Roses for Rosemary will be tabling in the Sadler Center’s atrium so students can stop by and make cards. There will be a card collection box on the table that will be sent in a care package to Raynal. Personal letters made outside of tabling events are also welcomed by the initiative. 

Current president of SKIFFY, the College’s Science-Fiction and Fantasy Club, Erin Young ’25 commented on Weissenboeck’s efforts and Raynal’s recovery in a message to the Flat Hat. Young stepped into Raynal’s role as president while she is in recovery. 

“SKIFFY is a smaller, close-knit club that offers our members a chance to destress and connect with one another,” Young wrote. “Rosemary is our beloved president and the crux of our organization. She’s more patient than I’ll ever be and appreciates all that our members have to offer. I’m glad for Eli’s initiative because it presents SKIFFY with a chance to give back to her and show her appreciation during her recovery. We miss her and hope she’s feeling ok and can come back soon.”

Ambler also wrote an email to The Flat Hat expressing her appreciation for the initiative, and emphasizing the importance of showing support for community members. 

“I sent an update on Rosemary’s condition to the campus mid-afternoon on Saturday,” Ambler wrote. “In barely an hour, Eli Weissenboeck had written to let me know that a coalition of student groups (the number continues to grow!) had come together with an idea and a plan for gathering bouquets of well-wishes for Rosemary — flower-themed cards for sending notes to her from her W&M family. Eli’s email filled my heart, and I couldn’t be happier to support this initiative any way I can. Purchasing supplies and helping students spread the word is a joy and a privilege.”

Weissenboeck finished her email with a message of hope for the College community, sharing the value of Raynal’s presence on campus and wishing her the best. 

“Roses for Rosemary is important to show Rosemary Raynal that her William & Mary family loves her and is cheering her on in her recovery,” Weissenboeck wrote. “We are a school built on uplifting, celebrating, and supporting each other during all phases of life. Roses for Rosemary hopes to remind Rosemary of the positive impact her presence has on our campus community regardless of the distance.”