Former College chancellor, Supreme Court justice Sandra Day O’Connor dead at 93

Friday, Dec. 1, Sandra Day O’Connor, the first woman to serve as a United States Supreme Court justice and former chancellor of the College of William and Mary, passed away at the age of 93. According to a statement from the Supreme Court, her cause of death was due to complications from advanced dementia and respiratory illness. 

Her death occurred two days after the passing of Henry Kissinger on Wednesday, Nov. 29. Kissinger was also a former chancellor of the College and U.S. Secretary of State under the Nixon and Ford administrations. 

Appointed by President Ronald Reagan, O’Connor served as a Supreme Court justice from 1981 to 2006. O’Connor served as the College’s 23rd chancellor from 2005 to 2012.

Chief Justice John G. Roberts, Jr. commented on the news in the court’s press release. 

“A daughter of the American Southwest, Sandra Day O’Connor blazed a historic trail as our Nation’s first female Justice,” Roberts said. “She met that challenge with undaunted determination, indisputable ability, and engaging candor. We at the Supreme Court mourn the loss of a beloved colleague, a fiercely independent defender of the rule of law and an eloquent advocate for civics education. And we celebrate her enduring legacy as a true public servant and patriot.”

In a statement to W&M News, College president Katherine Rowe discussed O’Connor’s legacy at the College. 

“Justice Sandra Day O’Connor was an inspiring trailblazer,” Rowe said. “During her frequent visits to campus as our chancellor, she called countless William & Mary students to advance the rule of law and pursue distinguished careers in public service. We are honored to count Justice O’Connor among the William & Mary family.”

U.S. Senator Tim Kaine (D-Va.) also shared his thoughts on O’Connor’s passing via a Twitter post. 

“Justice O’Connor was a trailblazer in so many ways and for so many people. I came to know her when she served as Chancellor of The College of William and Mary during my term as Governor,” Kaine wrote. “She made an incredible impression, mixing warmth, humor, and strength in a way that was all her own. America mourns her loss.”

An online exhibition on  O’Connor’s life and career is available on the Supreme Court’s website. The description details her achievements, including receiving the Presidential Medal of Freedom from Barack Obama in 2009. O’Connor also published five books during her lifetime and founded iCivics, a nonprofit organization dedicated to the promotion of civics education. 

O’Connor is survived by three children, six grandchildren and her brother, Alan Day, Sr. According to the court’s press release, details for O’Connor’s funeral will be released when available.