College announces Charter Day speakers, continues celebration of Year of the Arts

COURTESY PHOTO / WM.EDU

Friday, Jan. 12, the College of William and Mary announced that secretary of the Smithsonian Institution and founding director of the National Museum of African American History and Culture Lonnie G. Bunch III will deliver the headlining speech and receive an honorary degree at the 331st Charter Day ceremony on Friday, Feb. 9 in Kaplan Arena. 

“Lonnie Bunch has changed the way countless people understand American history and identity,” College President Katherine Rowe said in the W&M News announcement article. “His work sets museums at the heart of our democracy – as sources of shared learning, community engagement and civic power.” 

Bunch, who assumed the role of Smithsonian Secretary in 2019, oversees numerous museums, libraries, the National Zoo and several research and educational centers. As founding director of the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture, Bunch organized fundraising efforts, assisted in exhibition plans and spearheaded the collection of material culture from African-American individuals in the country. 

“The Smithsonian is the great convener, bringing diverse points of view into contact,” Bunch said in a 2016 Smithsonian Magazine special report. “A primary goal of the museum is to help America find whatever peace it can over issues of race.”

The celebration will also honor prominent public affairs executive and advocate for LGBTQ+ rights Jeffrey B. Trammell ‘73 with an honorary degree. Trammell received his Bachelor of Arts degree in history from the College and served two consecutive terms on the board of visitors from 2005 to 2013. 

Trammell made history as the first openly LGTBQ+ chair of the board of trustees of a major public university during his tenure as rector at the College from 2011 to 2013. In 2014, Equality Virginia named him one of their annual OUTstanding Virginians.

“We are also excited to celebrate one of our own, Jeff Trammell,” Rowe said. “His deep commitment to William & Mary spans more than half a century. Rector Trammell led the Board of Visitors during an important time in the life of the university and his dedication to W&M over decades impacted generations of students, faculty, staff and alumni.”

As a continuation of the College’s Year of the Arts, this year’s event will include live performances from various student groups and greetings from Chancellor Robert M. Gates ‘65, L.H.D. ‘98.