The Griffin Wears Prada: Highs, lows of Grammys’ fashion

GRAPHIC BY CATHERINE STORKE / THE FLAT HAT

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ll know that Sunday, Feb. 4, Los Angeles was buzzing with celebrities, paparazzi and much glamor as the 66th Annual Grammy Awards were being held. The awards show was hosted by Trevor Noah for the fourth time in a row, and the Crypto.com Arena welcomed a full range of celebrities, from the legendary Celine Dion to trend-setter Sofia Richie. 

As can be expected, the red carpet had quite a variety of looks. With the presence of silks, feathers and sparkles, there is much to cover. If you were too busy getting back on track with the start of the semester to watch the event, fear no more. Lucky for you, this article has a compilation of the looks that definitely deserve some attention. 

First thing’s first, let’s get back to black: floral black dress, straight neck, puffy sleeves and — are those bows? Yes, you guessed it! I’m talking about our beautiful Lana Del Rey. She was styled in a vintage dress that could not be more coquette-coded, with velvet flowers, tea-party gloves and pointed heels. I should also mention that the “Summertime Sadness” singer’s outfit also sported a few bows — like, everywhere. From her hair to her heels, to the wrists of her gloves, it is safe to say that Del Rey really relied on this year’s bow trend. But let’s get real, could they have put more bows on this woman? It all looked very baleful in my opinion, as if she were attending a funeral. Who knows? Maybe Del Rey already anticipated it’d be another year leaving the awards empty-handed. It could also be that I had very high expectations for her. Her past Grammy looks had been Born To Die-for (get it?), and I just wonder what happened this year. 

Following with more vintage, Miss Olivia Rodrigo greeted the red carpet with a beautiful white Versace dress. This 1995 piece, first worn by Linda Evangelista, had delicate white and red beads that splattered from her chest to the very ends of the gown. The double spaghetti straps, red lipstick and matching earrings were too iconic not to love. Sure, it’s not something that could be considered out-of-this-world, but can you really go wrong with a classy look? I think not. 

The crowd went crazy the second the talented Taylor Swift stepped out of her cab and smiled at the cameras. The Album of the Year winner was wearing a strapless white dress paired with some black gloves and her signature red lipstick. However, what stole the show was her necklace. Specifically made for Swift, a vintage Lorraine Schwartz watch was turned into a choker; and if that wasn’t enough, her stylist decided to add a 300-carat Lorraine Schwartz diamond necklace. Trust me, it looked heavy. Now, I can ramble about what a huge Taylor Swift fan I am, but I’m not going to do that. In fact, I’m going to speak my truth: the look was a complete miss. For starters, the dress didn’t accentuate her figure, and the thigh slit just made it look like a tablecloth that was wrapped around her body at the last minute. I personally didn’t enjoy the whole black-and-white look, and I think we can all agree that the velvet gloves just didn’t go with the rest of the look. Now, I’m not a stylist or whatever, but I’m a true believer that if you wear a strapless dress you must keep the accessories simple. The choker-watch alone would have been more than enough. 

Moving onto a wholly different style, Sam Smith was wearing what I’ll call… ‘original’ attire. Clad in an all scarlet-red, Smith’s cape, cane, top hat and veil looked very theatrical. Another good word would be dramatic, striking or maybe… extravagant. I’m just going to stop now and be as forward as I can — Smith’s inspiration looked like it came straight out of a Disney villain’s costume. Cruella de Vil and Dr. Facilier crossover, anyone?

Sofia Richie stepped onto the red carpet ready to do what she does best: be an icon. Wearing an all-black gown, Richie pulled this look together with a slicked-back bun and delicate jewelry. Sometimes simple is better, and I don’t think there could be a better example than her outfit. It was elegant, clean and the baby bump was just too cute not to love. It is clear why celebrities like the Jenners look up to her for fashion inspiration. 

I wish to end this review on a good note, but, gosh has it been hard! I swear I don’t usually have that high of a standard, so please don’t get the wrong impression of me. However, if I am to be frank, the Grammy’s fashion looks were a complete disappointment — a flop in today’s slang. With that said, none of this is in any way, shape or form a representation of the characters of these celebrities or what I think of them. It could also very much be that I have zero fashion sense. I welcome this possibility and would love to know if I have dissenters.