‘Anti-Israel’ graffiti on walkway violates campus policy, Ginger Ambler says

Wednesday, Feb. 21, the College of William and Mary Vice President for Student Affairs Virginia Ambler ’88, Ph.D. ’06 sent an email to the College community with the subject line “Vandalism on Campus.”

“Yesterday graffiti with threatening, anti-Israel messaging was discovered on the walkway that leads to the School of Education from Compton Drive,” Ambler wrote. “This will not be tolerated at William & Mary. Threats of violence have no place in our community, and vandalism of university property is a criminal act. Such behavior also violates our core values of integrity, respect and belonging. The vandalism will be thoroughly investigated and the individual or individuals responsible will face criminal charges”

Chief of Police and Interim Assistant Vice President for Public Safety Don Butler did not comment on the specifics of the graffiti, but requests any pertinent information regarding the matter be shared with the authorities.

“This remains an active investigation and we are asking anyone with information to contact WMPD at 757.221.4596,” Butler said in an email to The Flat Hat.

Director of News and Media Suzanne Clavet said the College is committed to free speech.

“William & Mary values freedom of expression and the respectful exchange of differing ideas, however, acts of vandalism will not be tolerated,” Clavet shared in an email to The Flat Hat. “It saddens us that someone committed this criminal act and broke the values of respect and belonging on which this university is anchored.”

Clavet added that the graffiti violated the College’s policy.

“If the individual(s) determined to be involved with this incident are members of this community, violations of those policies have consequences,” Clavet wrote.