Green and Gold falls to Princeton, loses 6-1 in away match

RYAN GOODMAN // THE FLAT HAT William and Mary freshman Nikita Bortnichek and sophomore Albert Hansen improved to a 7-3 overall record after defeating Princeton junior Alan Kam and freshman Evan Wen at No. 3.

Saturday, March 2, No. 65 William and Mary men’s tennis (5-6, 0-2 CAA) lost 6-1 to No. 21 Princeton (15-4) at Jadwin Gymnasium in Princeton, N.J.

Despite losing the doubles point, one Tribe pair was able to win its court.

At No. 3 doubles, William and Mary sophomore Albert Hansen and freshman Nikita Bortnichek improved to a 7-3 overall record after defeating Princeton junior Alan Kam and freshman Evan Wen 6-3.

The No. 2 Tribe doubles team of juniors Sean Joseph and Alexander Karman lost 6-1 to Princeton freshman Landon Ardila and sophomore Ellis Short. After Princeton freshman Paul Inchauspe and junior Filippos Astreinidis defeated William and Mary graduate students Bill Duo and Konstantinos Raptis 6-2 at No. 1, the Tigers clinched the doubles point.

The Tigers won five of six singles points, winning the top two singles positions after sophomore Fnu Nidunjianzan trounced Joseph 6-0, 6-1 at No. 2 and Inschauspe defeated Raptis 6-2, 6-1 at No. 1.

Duo secured a singles point for the Tribe at No. 4, winning both sets 6-2 against Ardila.

At No. 3, Hansen lost to Tigers sophomore Sebastian Sec 6-3 in the first set and 6-1 in the second. At the No. 5 matchup, Princeton freshman Aleksandar Mitric defeated Bortnichek 6-2, 6-1.

At the No. 6 position, Karman won his first set against Kam 7-5. Kam defeated Karman in the second set with a 6-1 victory and secured the singles point for the Tigers after winning the super tiebreaker 10-6.

The Tribe attempted to rebound in its match against Monmouth (8-2, 1-1 CAA) Sunday, March 3 in Little Silver, N.J. but ultimately fell short with a 4-3 loss.