Green and Gold overpowered at home, loses to Delaware 19-9

RYAN GOODMAN // THE FLAT HAT The Tribe has had a slow start to its in-conference season, going 0-3 in its first three CAA matchups.

Saturday, March 30, William and Mary lacrosse (4-8, 0-3 CAA) lost to Delaware (8-3, 1-2 CAA) 19-9 at Martin Family Stadium at Albert-Daly Field in Williamsburg, Va. 

William and Mary sophomore midfielder Maresa Moyer started the Tribe off hot, scoring the first goal of the game unassisted, as well as the second goal of the game assisted by freshman midfielder Finley Hoffman to put the Tribe up 2-0. The visiting Blue Hens responded quickly, scoring three goals within 45 seconds to take the lead as the first quarter came to an end. Two more goals from Delaware in the second quarter extended the Blue Hens’ lead to three before Moyer scored her third goal of the day for the Tribe. With one minute, seven seconds remaining in the half, senior midfielder Lizzie Yurchak found the back of the net for Delaware, and the first half closed with the Blue Hens on top, 6-3. 

William and Mary came out of halftime strong, with Hoffman scoring her first goal on the day just two minutes into the third quarter. Sophomore midfielder Lauren Rothstein also added a goal in the third quarter, but the Tribe offense couldn’t match Delaware as the visitors scored four goals in the quarter, extending the Blue Hens’ lead to five as the match entered the fourth period. 

The fourth quarter was the highest-scoring of the day. Junior attack Justyce Barber and freshman attack Piper Kienzle both scored unassisted goals to start the final quarter, but Delaware responded with dominant offensive attacks, quickly scoring three more to make the score  13-7. With just over nine minutes remaining in the game, William and Mary tried to get some momentum back with goals from junior attack Sophia Chiodo Ortiz and sophomore midfielder Kate Draddy finding the back of the net, but the Blue Hens came alive again with seven minutes remaining, shutting down any hope of a Tribe comeback. Delaware scored six goals in the final seven minutes of the game, including a goal with just 10 seconds left from senior attack Danielle Livornese. It was a dominant performance from the visitors in the final quarter that propelled the visiting Blue Hens to a 19-9 victory over William and Mary. 

On the day, Delaware took 40 shots compared to William and Mary’s 24, had 15 turnovers compared to the Tribe’s 21, and just edged out the Green and Gold in draw controls by a margin of 17-14. Ground ball recoveries were even with each team securing 23, and Delaware had just one more save than the Tribe, 9-8.

William and Mary look to bounce back April 6 against Towson at Martin Family Stadium at Albert-Daly Field in Williamsburg, Va.