CW CEO Cliff Fleet’s grand jury set for May 22

JULIANA GOMIEN / THE FLAT HAT

After Colonial Williamsburg CEO and Immediate Past Chair of the William and Mary Foundation Cliff Fleet ’91, M.A. ’93, J.D. ’95, M.B.A. ’95 struck Rosemary Raynal ’25 in October 2023, Williamsburg Commonwealth’s Attorney Nate Green J.D. ’98 has announced a timeline for the charges, the Daily Press reports.

“We will make a decision on that before our next grand jury, which is scheduled for May 22,” Green told the Daily Press. “We are continuing to look at the case. We have not closed it. Whether or not Mr. Fleet is charged, that decision will be made by May 22.” 

It is unclear whether Fleet would be receiving criminal or civil charges, if any.

According to the Daily Press, court documents indicate that Fleet was listening to music at the time of the crash. The Flat Hat is currently not able to obtain more information and Green did not respond to a request for comment at the time of publication.

Following the crash, Director of News and Media Suzanne Clavet shared an additional statement from the College in an email to The Flat Hat.  

“Today’s collision in Williamsburg involving a vehicle and a pedestrian is an incredibly unfortunate situation involving two members of the William & Mary Community,” the email stated. “The pedestrian is a student, and the driver is a faculty member and longtime engaged alumnus.”

CORRECTION (04/29/24): Article was updated by News Editor Peerawut Ruangsawasdi to clarify that it is, at the moment, unclear whether Fleet would receive any charges.

Previous articleBits & Pieces: He’s at it Again!
Next articleTaking stock of LDOC
Avatar photo
Peerawut (he/him) is a government Major from Alexandria, Virginia, who loves Thai food and is trying to learn the violin and alto saxophone. He hopes to help The Flat Hat realize its mission of delivering essential news that campus needs.