George Mason Law School

Sports in Brief (March 14)

|

March 14, 2008

**Women’s Basketball**
__Tribe opens conference tournament with win__
The Tribe women’s squad defeated Georgia State University 82-60 in the first round of the CAA Tournament. Senior Kyra Kaylor led four College starters in double figures with 17. The Tribe built a 42-32 halftime advantage behind 61 percent shooting from beyond the arc before ripping off a 12-2 run to open the second half and bury the Panthers. Sophomore Courtney Portell led an impressive three-point attack for the College, canning three of six treys, while classmate Tiffany Benson notched 15 second-half points. The Tribe faces seconde-seeded James Madison University today at noon in the quarterfinals.

p. **Baseball**
__College splits pair of games with state foes__
The Tribe split a pair of non-conference home contests this week as junior first baseman Mike Sheridan was named the CAA Co-Player of the Week. Freshman Tim Norton pitched five innings and allowed four runs, but he did not earn a decision in the College’s 7-6 loss to the University of Richmond Tuesday. The Tribe led 6-4 entering the sixth inning before a three-run outburst by the Spiders put Richmond ahead for good and saddled the Tribe with their first home loss of the season. The College rebounded a day later as senior catcher Tim Park led an energetic Tribe offense with a home run and two RBIs in a 12-3 victory over Virginia Military Institute.

Tribe Square evicts The Crust leaving ground floor empty
As gubernatorial primary nears, students get out the vote
College mourns death of online MBA student, Navy SEAL Kyle Milliken