Sports in Brief (March 14)

**Women’s Basketball**
__Tribe opens conference tournament with win__
The Tribe women’s squad defeated Georgia State University 82-60 in the first round of the CAA Tournament. Senior Kyra Kaylor led four College starters in double figures with 17. The Tribe built a 42-32 halftime advantage behind 61 percent shooting from beyond the arc before ripping off a 12-2 run to open the second half and bury the Panthers. Sophomore Courtney Portell led an impressive three-point attack for the College, canning three of six treys, while classmate Tiffany Benson notched 15 second-half points. The Tribe faces seconde-seeded James Madison University today at noon in the quarterfinals.

p. **Baseball**
__College splits pair of games with state foes__
The Tribe split a pair of non-conference home contests this week as junior first baseman Mike Sheridan was named the CAA Co-Player of the Week. Freshman Tim Norton pitched five innings and allowed four runs, but he did not earn a decision in the College’s 7-6 loss to the University of Richmond Tuesday. The Tribe led 6-4 entering the sixth inning before a three-run outburst by the Spiders put Richmond ahead for good and saddled the Tribe with their first home loss of the season. The College rebounded a day later as senior catcher Tim Park led an energetic Tribe offense with a home run and two RBIs in a 12-3 victory over Virginia Military Institute.