Men’s and Women’s Golf: School records fall as women take third, men fourth

|

April 22, 2008

Junior Brent Paladino entered this weekend’s CAA Championships fresh off being named the Tribe’s first All-Conference golfer in three years. He lived up to his billing during the tournament’s final two rounds, carding a six-under 65 Saturday and a two-under 69 Sunday to finish in second place overall and lead the College to a fourth-place finish at the Golden Horseshoe Golf Club in Williamsburg.

In the women’s CAA Championship, senior Erika Oldencamp used a career-best one-under 71 in the final round to propel the Tribe to a third-place finish, as well as a school-record single-round and 54-hole total. Braving on-and-off rainstorms and strong wind, every member of the women’s team broke the 80-stroke mark during Sunday’s final round.

Paladino’s second-round 65 tied for the day’s best round and was one stroke off the Tribe record, set by Walt Lawrence in 1957. Paladino’s three-round total of 207 tied his school record for low 54-hole score.

Not to be upstaged, Oldencamp’s 71 cemented a place in Tribe lore as well, securing her a season stroke average of 78.20, the best mark posted by a senior female player in the College’s history. Oldencamp’s final season surpassed the mark of 78.43 set by two-time All-American Mary Wilkinson ’82 and goes down as the third-best season in terms of scoring average in the Tribe’s record books.

On the men’s side, Paladino’s weekend helped propel the College from seventh-place at the end of round one to its fourth-place finish. Georgia State University captured the CAA Championship.

Junior Doug Hurson’s three-under 69 Sunday moved him up 14 places into a tie for 13th, while sophomore Conor O’Brien followed an opening-round one-under 70 with rounds of 75 and 81, respectively, to close out the tournament in a tie for 27th.

Freshman Brandon Parker improved every round, firing an even-par 71 Sunday to catapult 12 spots on the leaderboard into a tie for 36th. Senior Jimmy Femino ended his career with a seven-over 78 to finish tied for 50th.

The Tribe women made a charge, shooting a final-round total of 299, only the second time the Tribe has broken the 300-stroke barrier, an overall score of 914, and the best 54-hole mark in school history. But in the end the Tribe could not overtake champion University of North Carolina—Wilmington.

Oldencamp finished in a tie for ninth place, while sophomore Morgan Stepanek shot a final-round three-over 75 to move into a tie for 10th. Stepanek’s three-round total was equaled by freshman Sarah Whitney.

Freshman Katie Murphy finished in a tie for 18th, while senior Marissa Sprick closed out her career at the College with a 13th-place finish.

Tribe Square evicts The Crust leaving ground floor empty
As gubernatorial primary nears, students get out the vote
College mourns death of online MBA student, Navy SEAL Kyle Milliken