Flippin resigns from BOV

|

September 21, 2012

After speculation that she would return to the College of William and Mary, Flippin submitted a letter of resignation to Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell Friday morning. Flippin was three years into a four year term as board member.

Last September, former Board member Laura Flippin ’92 was arrested outside the Green Leafe for public drunkenness. In June, she was found guilty of public intoxication after allegedly lying under oath about her level of intoxication.

“I am committed to ensuring that William and Mary continues to be one of this nation’s preeminent institutions of higher education, grounded in its historical legacy and focused on its dynamic future,” Flippin said in her letter to the governor. “To avoid distraction from that mission, I hereby submit my resignation from my position as board member.”

College President Taylor Reveley took this chance to reiterate what he believes this should teach those at the College.

“As a campus community, we need to learn from this experience and talk more effectively with one another about the dangers of high-risk drinking,” Reveley said. “This is an issue at colleges nationwide, and William and Mary is not immune.”

For more on this, check back with the Flat Hat soon. 

SA passes Hobble Wobble Gobble Act, plans to purchase Thanksgiving turkeys
Inside COLL: Professors raise questions, concerns about implementation of COLL curriculum
Student problems with swipe access stem from data errors

• Matt Giattino

• Alum

And why couldn’t she have resigned last September?

• Also an Alum

Laura Flippin is an incredible alumna and her dedication to the College in terms of time, talent, and leveraging her own success in support of W&M is second to none. For alumni, especially in the DC-area, she’s an inspiration – and she’ll be missed.

• Alumna1993

It is sad to see how the current W&M community has treated one of its most loyal boosters. I used to be inspired to volunteer for W&M, raise funds for it, and recruit from it. No longer.