Buy Asuncion Tickets!

Alumnus joins Virginia House of Delegates race

|

January 28, 2013

Alumnus Monte Johnson ’04 announced his plan to run for the Virginia House of Delegates in the 10th district which includes Clarke, Fairfax, Fauquier, Frederick, Loudoun, Prince William, and Warren Counties.

The Virginia native has been trying to garner support from fellow classmates and alumni of the College of William and Mary in order to support his campaign.

“I would love support [from] the school,” Johnson said. “This endeavor will need a lot of resources to be successful and it would mean a lot to me if William and Mary could be a big part of this campaign. … The school has a rich tradition in all levels of government, and I would love to highlight that tradition as a delegate.”

As an alumnus of the College and a brother of the Delta Phi fraternity, Johnson has already begun to receive support from many of his fraternity brothers and alumni.

“I was really impressed that he was getting involved in the political arena in Virginia,” Delta Phi alumnus Taylor Phillips ’03 said. “I knew he had been involved in both of the Obama campaigns, so he had already set some groundwork, but I am really impressed that he was willing to take the next step in campaigning and becoming a member [of the government].”

Johnson’s career in politics and government began when he was still attending the College. As a student, he participated in the William and Mary in Washington Program, was a member of the Young Democrats and graduated with a major in public policy. Johnson currently works as a project manager at Booz Allen Hamilton, a strategy and technology consulting firm for the U.S. government.

“As a delegate, I would like to make strides in core areas like transportation, education, jobs and healthcare,” Johnson said. “Also, I want to make a strong push for equality. The current General Assembly is really trying to set us back in that regard.”

Walter Isaacson to give 2017 Commencement address: College presents Isaacson, Hayden, Verkuil with honorary degrees
Business school denies credits for student internships: Students voice concerns about lack of credit for outside work, internship style classes
Swem photojournalism exhibit details lives of ‘Buffalo Soldiers’

• Bailey Kirkpatrick

Senior staff writer Bailey Kirkpatrick '15 is an international relations major from Ashburn, Virginia. She was previously Associate Variety Editor and Associate News Editor.